Mosgiel/Dunedin area..Caterpillars wanted

• Creator
    Topic

richturn
    Participant

I have a massive Swan plant which came with us last year after a move from Hamilton to Mosgiel..I seen some Monarchs here last year but as yet seen none this year here.. Just wondering if its something to do with being 280 meters above sea level.. We will be moving to Allanton ( near seas level) , just down the road in a month or so and will dig up the swan plant and take it with us.. So i have heaps of food on this plant. Email me as i dont come here much kiwi.trader@hotmail.com
    Cheers
    Rich

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Charlotte
    Participant

Yes, I think I’m going to have to send my daughter eggs from our plants here in Auckland, this way she can get started and at least get a few through.

Its so nice to know there is a few people in Dunedin raising Monarch’s 🙂

Butternut
    Participant

I have had two monarchs laying last weekend and one this weekend – and spotted my first red admiral for the season this weekend too.

I get super jealous of the North Islanders, reading about how long their butterfly season is.

scootercat
    Participant

Charlotte, I think the cold winter we had last year means the numbers have dropped. I had none either, until imported eggs and caterpillars started eclosing and started a new generation. A female was laying on my plants at the weekend, the first I have seen.

Charlotte
    Participant

My daughter lives in Concord, Dunedin and she has no Monarchs visiting her plants at all.
    I wonder if anyone else who lives in Dunedin is experiencing the same thing as well.
    Regards
    Charlotte

scootercat
    Participant

I am in Mosgiel and have a Monarch laying on my swan plants and also eggs and caterpillars that were kindly sent to me from other members. If you want some, text me 021 040 3767

Carl65
    Participant

I have heaps of caterpillars which are gobbling up my plants in double quick time. Most of them have been removed from the plants and put on a bed of cucumber (leaves + slices). One box are living in the refrigerator, which does not seem to bother them much apart from greatly slowing their metabolic rate. This is to allow the plants to catch up. The others need to go to a good home.

Being in Christchurch, I am sure I could send you some via courier and arrive the same day. Txt me on 0212123099.

Charles

Butternut
    Participant

Hi Rich – I am in Wakari and have had Monarchs laying on my swan plants last weekend (first ones I have seen this season). Butterflies seem a bit scarce this year – even in Mosgiel which has a slightly better climate than in Dunedin.

I have released about 80 yellow admirals from this spring but have yet to have any return to my nettles (of which I have four varieties).

I have sent you an email – as I am bound to have some caterpillars needing to find new plants.

regards Rachel

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.