My first butterfly mini farm!!

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

adcat
    Participant

Hi I’m new to this site, which I stumbled over when trying to help my caterpillars brought home from a garden on a branch of swan plant for my 9 yr old daughter. 1 has turned into 8 with careful monitoring and stealing a few swan plant branches from the same garden. I had to wash them carefully to remove any eggs to ensure that mine could survive and even then 4 turned into 8. Have had our first hatching which was amazing and watched by 6 adults and our 1 child. Everyone still has the same fasination that we had when we were children. I now have 4 chrysali and one hanging cat. With three more happily munching on pumpkin peelings (that I learned about from this site thank you)getting ready to do his amazing wriggling act into his chrysalis. Now that is spectacular to see. Have taken some beautiful photos and close-up videos of each stage and my daughter is going to make a power point presentation to take to school. Thank you so much for your informative site, I had no idea that they were even in danger!!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Hi Adcat

I’ll see what’s happening about the posting of photos – there was a technical glitch at one point, but perhaps it’s been fixed.

Be back soon I hope!

J.

adcat
    Participant

Yes Jacqui. It is amazing. You are never too old to witness such natural phenomena with awe. I have noticed that once the caterpillars are on pumpkin that they eat for a lot longer. Before once they got to a certain size I removed them from the food source and they hung quickly. I took this to be a natural safeguard if food got scarce (which is probably wrong), but now the ones on the pumpkin just keep munching!! Maybe it hasn’t got the nutritional value to fatten them like milk weed or perhaps they just like the taste!!? Only two more to hang and then the hatchings will start one by one……very exciting for us all.
    Can you tell me how you post photos on this site? Thanks Adcat.

Jacqui

Isn’t it a wonderful thing to do with your children, Adcat?

Cheers

Jacqui

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.