mysterious visitors – caterpillars from space?

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

vanessa
    Participant

we thought the season well past but we have found 2 caterpillars today. the strange thing is they are quite well grown, they were not feeding on our 2 swan plants and they were found quite some metres away from any vegetation on our tiled courtyard. i’m stumped. have brought them inside now but i’m darned if i know how they got there. any ideas?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

vanessa
    Participant

thanks jaqui. am sorted for now.

Jacqui

Hello Vanessa – I’m still down south (Matamata at present).

Unfortunately you did not left your contact details when you registered. Please phone me on 0274 814 811 and I will endeavour to put you in touch with someone.

Cheers

Jacqui

vanessa
    Participant

thanks gilly, we are going to go and buy a couple more plants today which should help in the short term, but they will probably be stripped in a couple of days if they are the size of the last ones we bought.

Gilly
    Participant

Hi Vanessa… caterpillars can travel quite long distances in search of food. You could try some schools in your area to see if they have excess food…. I will alert Jacqui to your message but she is away for a week but she might, hopefully, be able to put you in touch with someone in your area…

vanessa
    Participant

well we solved that one. went door knocking and found our next door neighbour has a big swan plant that has been stripped, and still lots of cats and chysalises. they have come through a gap in the fence to look for food..i wonder if they can smell our swan plants? i have taken a few, have told her about the pumpkin, but if anyone is in south auckland and wants to take on some more please let me know, as my plants are too small to take them. we are in Dannemora

vanessa
    Participant

we then found another 2 after that. can a bird be dropping them there? we do have a friendly blackbird but it’s a little even beyond my wild imagination that he may be delivering them to us for safety. 🙂

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.