Nelson monarch caterpillars

• Creator
    Topic

rob cooper
    Participant

a great start this year in nelson at the begining of this year i new nothing about the issues in nelson,yep the paper wasp so did alot of research about it an got 35 away.i now have between 30 to 40 pillers in my encloseure a fab start

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies

rob cooper
    Participant

coopertop nelson is stuffed by the asian paper wasp you need a cage and hard work end of story i can help with pillers if you want but dont muck around cheers rob

coppertop
    Participant

I saw one solitary monarch around the swan plants yesterday. I dont understand why there are not heaps of them like last year. Are others in Mapua and Redwood valley seeing monarchs?

rob cooper
    Participant

hi can help but you need a cage

Jacqui

Good work, Rob.

Try removing an egg… You might just have the magic touch. I did lose a few when I first started doing it but now I’ve got it sussed.

Jacqui

rob cooper
    Participant

sounds great how you do that jacqui but i have big hands im mite not be good we do very well how we do it our first 2 flys away today 2 females lol 3 will hatch in the morning i built a huge cage in the weekend now we can just walk into the swan plant and sort things im gonna get 50 away for start of the season we are so rapped

Jacqui

Good idea, Rob.

But if you’re like me and can’t afford to waste any food, do you know that you can very gently roll the eggs off the leaf? What I do is put my thumb ever so gently over the egg and wiggle it very slightly from side to side and it will come away. Very, very gentle. That way the leaf can stay on the plant and be eaten by caterpillars!

OR if you don’t like doing that, and the eggs are down the far end of the leaf, you can just cut that bit of the leaf off, leaving the rest on the plant to be eaten.

rob cooper
    Participant

hi coppertop you will need to put one swan plant in a cage then keep an eye on the other plants for eggs pick the leaf off just before they hatch then let them hatch inside and put them into the cage hope this helps

coppertop
    Participant

The aphids are here in force so I will try to cut the branch tips off as you suggest into a plastic bag so they cant fly away.they really stain your fingers if you squash them! Annoying that they are here and the monarchs are not.

coppertop
    Participant

I had clouds of monarchs last year – this year I have seen one about a month ago. I have good swan plants but have been desperately trying to get wildflowers in the garden to attract the monarchs – poppies galore but everything else will be into December.Anyone in Nelson got too many caterpillars? I’m in Redwood Valley.

rob cooper
    Participant

it sure is jacqui tis a lot of hard work gotta have a encloseure then outside plants for the eggs the hardest part is to get the eggs to hatch then put them in the encloseure they so small but im rapt with the way its gone

Jacqui

Well done, Rob.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.