Nestlé to create butterfly meadows (UK)

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

Nestlé is planning to create a meadow in the grounds of its York factory to help halt the decline of the UK’s butterfly population.

Nearly 75 acres of butterfly meadows – the equivalent of almost 250 football pitches – will be created on the company’s sites and farmland across the UK in a new national programme.

A spokesman said the aim was to attract more than ten varieties of butterflies including the Large White, Red Admiral, Small Copper, Wall Brown and Meadow Brown.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/10573653.Nestl___to_create_butterfly_meadow_at_York_factory/?ref=erec

And yet last week their CEO was saying that water should be privatised – that no-one had the right to free water… Sounds like a political football to me.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Terry
    Participant

Hi Jacqui

Yes you can catch your own water in the UK but I would guess there is some form of licence required (need to check this out) You are supposed to have a hose Pipe licence for outside taps but most folks just ignore this law and the chances of getting caught are slim. However in recent years there has been a policy of placing everyone on water meters so you have to pay for your total consumption. The changeover effects all new builds (I am on one) and with old properties when the main supply to that property needs renewing or on request from the householder as at this time in small households a water meter can save you money.

As for the Nestle guy, Well what can you say???? It amazes me how out of touch with the lives of ordinary people these corporate parasites can become. As you know I have already commented on how patenting GMOs is similar to the copyright monopoly which is choking the life from the free Internet. Just think, in the future you won’t be able to grow your own vegetables in your garden or collect the seeds without paying Monsanto or another company for a licence. Anyone who thinks this is scaremongering only has to watch the independent film David versus Monsanto to see it is already in action now. We don’t have GMO’s in the UK at this time but the Government is being lobbied hard by the GM companies and the official media is being used to soften up the public for it’s introduction very soon. We are lucky to have plenty of activists willing to go to prison after pulling up the trial crop fields a few years ago, and now our right wing coalition are already planning to make the sentences more harsh so they can crush the people and impose the corporate agenda against our will.

As for me, I don’t worry about it because I know I cannot change the people who run the world, I can only make changes to my own life. It’s quite funny to think that in order to gain political power to try and change the world you have to corrupt yourself first, which makes the whole exercise pointless! Anyone who doesn’t believe me, try joining a political party and see how far you climb up the greasy pole by not compromising on your principles.

Jacqui

Hi Terry

Does that mean that you can’t catch your own water from the rain and use it for gardens or washing cars or whatever you want to do?

This article here seems to cover what they’re saying about Nestlé and water Terry.

http://www.trueactivist.com/nestle-ceo-water-is-not-a-human-right-should-be-privatized/

Terry
    Participant

Hi Jacqui

Could you give more details about this privatisation stuff because our water is already owned and run by private companies. Our water was privatised back in the 1980s by the Thatcher government. They sold everything they could get their filthy thieving hands on, only missing out on the Royal Mail and our beloved NHS which they will destroy as soon is expedient to get away with it. At the moment we have a coalition of the Conservatives propped up by the Liberal Democrats but after the next election it looks (may God have mercy on us) as if we may have a majority Conservative government and then they will sell what’s left.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.