Nettle seeds to buy

Tagged: ,

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Kay Marsden
    Participant

<<< Kay member First time in forum,but spend time reading and have leaent so so much.

I to need some nettle seeds if possable

I have been a member for 2 years but looking after butterfies for 5 years. I work full time but all spare time and weekends is spent in my garden.I have many necter plants both for butterfies and birds,garden only 4 years old lots of money and time but as keen gardeners know no expense spared when it is your joy.I am in Waiuku

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Darren
    Participant

aw shucks, thanks for that. But actually I’m just a preschool teacher who can cobble together a bit of simple html in my sadly limited spare time.

We need to cross our fingers that a proper programmer gets bitten by the butterfly bug, because the inner workings of online databases and suchlike are completely beyond me.

Charlotte
    Participant

Darren is a very clever man I agree and the trust is lucky to have him;-)

Cheers
    Char

Jacqui

Thanks Darren and Trisha too.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Char and Jacqui – the person who asked me couldn’t find nettle on TM or the MBNZT website. That’s why I ‘gave’ her some. I don’t sell anything.
    Darren has fixed the website now – clever man.
    Trisha

Jacqui

Yes, Trade Me will be back. But in the meantime, everything’s on the website.

Charlotte
    Participant

We no longer have any items listed on Trade Me Trisha.
    I’m not sure if Trade Me will get used again as I don’t look after Trade Me anymore.

Thanks
    Char

Darren
    Participant

fixed now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ah ha – just to be tricky, they are not on the dropdown shop menu across the top of the page, but they are on the shop tab down the left hand side.
    Trisha

Anonymous
    Inactive

I couldn’t find them, Darren.
    I gave a friend some seeds last week because she couldn’t find them on Trade Me or the trust shop either.
    Trisha

Darren
    Participant

The Trust sells Pureora (Urtica incisa). $5 packet. Click on Shop on the top menu bar or go to https://www.monarch.org.nz/items-for-sale/seeds/seed-urtica-incisa/

Norm I added your comment about it dying back to the description.Thanks.

poppa-7
    Participant

Has any one got suitable Nettle seed so that I can attract Admiral Butterflies to propagate? Russell

Charlotte
    Participant

only a garden trowel will do.
    one bucket be enough.

Anonymous
    Inactive

See you tomorrow, Flutterbys!!
    One bucket or two? How big are they? Garden trowel or spade?
    Will bring my thick gloves.
    Trisha

Jane
    Participant

Hi Norm and others. My U. incisa plants have what looks like either seeds or flower buds on them at present. I’ve been too chicken to have a closer look until I get a much thicker pair of gloves, as they GOT me recently when I was trying to have a closer look:/

Charlotte
    Participant

Yes mine died off in the winter. But more have SPRUNG and now I have nettles everywhere;-))

Trisha come dig some up please. I have too many.

Char

NormTwigge
    Participant

Patz,

U. incisa dies back during the Winter and regenerates again in Spring.

Norm.

Lepidopteranos
    Participant

Not sure about incisa. Some of my plants were badly affected by frost. However most of the plants that haven’t been doing so well are coming back, as are dozens of seedlings in various pots.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Goodness – I shall have to be careful.
    Is incisa as hardy as urens?
    Just learning, Norm, so thanks for the info.
    Best
    Trisha

NormTwigge
    Participant

Hi all,

When you plant several U.urens plants in your garden you will never be without them. They seed readily and will even survive 4 months in a compost bin and germinate quickly when the compost is spread on the garden. My wife found out when she pulled out the nettle WEEDS from her flower garden and dumped them in the compost bin. Compost spread on the garden 4 months later and literally scores of seedlings sprouted.
    They will also withstand heavy frosts.
    Norm.

Charlotte
    Participant

I dont really want to sell them at Oratia,as I dont know enough about them, and if anyone buys and then there children rub against them or touch the leaves, and end up breaking out in a rash!
    I do not want the Trust held responsible for something like that.
    If I knew more about them perhaps I would. MOst people do take a wide step when you mention stinging nettle.

That’s fine Trisha if you want seedlings. I have plenty out the back. As like Robert says they do get blown around, and I have them popping up everywhere, And Al is cussing me for this. LOL
    I have them in all my pots on the deck, even out the back.

So anyone wanting any just email me charlotte@monarch.org.nz if you want to come and dig some up.

Cheers
    Char

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Gerry,

Yes I’m back, please email me at Robert@nzButterfly.Info & we’ll discuss Nettles. I don’t see any problem with numbers & timeframe.

I’m also keen to learn more about the project on the island, so please add something in the email about it.

Trisha,

The Nettles drop their seed & it spreads upto 30cm without much wind, but they are light & do get windblown, so can go lots farther.

Robert.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh, that’s interestng,
    Did you have them potted or in the ground? Ie – did they spread their seed, or through the ground?
    Will email you at monarch – I’d like some seedlings, if that’s OK?
    Cheers
    Trisha

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Patz,

No I am not selling them at the markets. I just have a lot of seedlings here I want to get rid of.
    As they are popping up everywhere. Once you have them they spread quite easily, and I have far too many.

Char

Anonymous
    Inactive

Char, will you be selling these at Oratia?
    Best
    Trisha

Charlotte
    Participant

HI Kay,

I have plenty of Nettle (Urtica Incisa). Your welcome to come and take plenty of little seedlings.
    I am in West Auckland.
    Ask Jacqui for my numbers.

Char

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.