New book

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

macmonkey
    Participant

Hi all, just finished milking and sat down to read the sunday paper.

There is a new book out for kids about Monarchs, might be worth a look

http://www.barfoot.co.nz/storybook

all proceeds of the sale go to Starship

cheers Stu

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

macmonkey
    Participant

Ok.The book finally arrived after Christmas and have had a chance to sit down and read it to the kids. So here is the review.
    The Story is about Class 22, Colwill School and the swan plant their teacher Miss Thomas brings to class. On the plant there are lots of eggs and one stands out from the rest., A really big one. This egg turns into a caterpillar with a never ending appetite. Seems like we have all have caterpillars like that sometimes. Any way the caterpillar manages to eat everything including the plant his brothers and sisters, a giant pumpkin, the class Cat, the teacher and the Principal.
    What is surprising is the ending, not quite what you would expect. Nicely illustrated throughout by All Black Keven Mealamu.
    My kids enjoyed and the funds raised from the sale go to Starship. A good value book and highly recommended.
    Good on you Class 22, Colwill School, Keven Mealamu and John Parker.

Charlotte
    Participant

HI Jacqui,

Yes that sounds awesome. I only got a brief look in there the last time I was there with my grandson, he wanted to go home ;-(.

Just let me know and we can organise something. I look forward to it.

Charlotte

Jacqui

Thanks Charlotte. I’d love to see it. But how about I come visit next time I’m in Auckland – perhaps we could all get together at West Lynn? There’s a small piece about West Lynn in this month’s newsletter.

Don’t know when I will be down next though…

Jacqui

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi All,

What an awesome book. My grandson was sitting with me as I read it to him. He was enjoying the book, till something else distracted him and off he went;-).
    So I had to finish the book myself, I couldn’t leave it!! I needed to know how this ended.
    Great pictures in it and what a great story. I will let Stu do the book review.
    Its a book that I can read again and again!!

Hey Jacqui I can loan you the book for a while if you would like? Just email me and let me know.

Cheers
    Charlotte

Swansong
    Participant

Hehehe a ‘pillar named Jumbo? I think I like the sound of that : ).

Swansong

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi All,

I have the book also, it arrived today. I will try and read it tonight to the grankids.
    Cant wait.

Charlotte

macmonkey
    Participant

yp it is about Amonarch caterpillar called Jumbo. Have ordered it for my kids so will review it when it arrives

Stu

Jacqui

Hi Stu

Did you get the book? I would love to see it. I heard him on GOOD MORNING the other day with two of the class who wrote the story – they were all gorgeous, all three of them. It’s not so much a Monarch caterpillar (I don’t think), although the colourign looked like a Monarch – but they certainly didn’t mention the Monarch on the TV interview.

I can hear a book review coming up from Tokoroa!!!

Jacqui

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.