new eggs

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

margie
    Participant

Wow I have just had a couple of untagged butterflies laying eggs on my swan plants, this is unusual for this time of year at the beach as we are usually all finished by now as far as laying eggs goes.Quite exciting for me to have an extended season. Just had to share it with someone :):)

Margie

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies

zoe9
    Participant

Oh, I agree totally. And you’re welcome. I’m glad to help (and also glad to know it’s not just me who looks after damaged butterflies. After all, if lots of us do it then how crazy can it really be?)
    🙂

margie
    Participant

You are really busy with all your little charges:)with all they have gone through and all the life changes they have had to get to the butterfly stage they do deserve to live as long as they can. Thanks for your help:)
    Margie

zoe9
    Participant

Oh thats perfect! I use a toothpick with mine because I have so many that meal time is like a military operation – no time for mucking around you see. But if she uncoiled it herself because she tasted the food with her feet that’s even better.
    They’re funny things to watch when feeding. Some just leave the proboscis in the one spot to eat but others wave theirs around in the liquid like an elephant trunk or something. It makes me smile watching some of them. Most of mine eat for around 5 minutes too, except Mr Piggy who starts first and finishes last. He’s been known to eat for over 20 minutes! (Luckily he’s the best at feeding himself and doesn’t need me to prop him up!)

margie
    Participant

Thanks for your feedback zoe9 I really appreciate it as it is new ground for me. I just let her put her feet in the liquid and then her long proboscis came out into the liquid and she left it in there for at least 5 mins is that what is meant to happen I didn’t need a tooth pick she did it herself.
    Cheers Margie

zoe9
    Participant

Hi Margie
    I use 1 part sugar to 4 parts water and that seems to work for mine. One butterfly I had actually lived for over 12 weeks fed on this mixture. On average I’d say most live for 2 or 3 though.
    I feed them twice a day. I have fed them from teaspoons but now (as I have quite a few) I use a jam jar lid. I place the lid on the sofa, sit the butterfly next to it and then use a toothpick to uncoil the proboscis and dip it in for them. Most end up grasping the edge of the lid with their feet, or actually sticking a leg in it. This helps them know it’s food as apparently they taste it with their feet – am sure I read that somewhere. Anyhow they can then hold themselves in place while they eat which makes it easy for us. Some unbalance though and the proboscis comes out so I often end up gently holding them in place while they eat. This can get a bit tiring though if they spend ages eating, and some do!
    Hope this helps – it’s worked for me anyway.
    Also I’m really glad you’ve decided to look after her – I’d have done the same.

margie
    Participant

Hi,
    Just to let you know I have kept my little butterfly with the bent wing can’t bring myself to put her to sleep. she has just finished drinking some sugary water I made her and now she is happily sitting on my shoulder. My questions are how sweet do you make the mix and how often do you offer it, I fed her from a teaspoon while she was on my finger. Haven’t done this before so not sure if I am doing it right or not any advice is most welcome.
    Cheers Margie

zoe9
    Participant

Hi Swansong
    I also have a buttefly I have decided to keep inside, but it’s hard making that decision really. This buttefly is tiny, the smallest one I have ever seen. Her wing span from tip to base is just 2.5cm. Her wings, although fully extended, aren’t nice and straight, but I’ve seen butterflies with more ‘rumpled’ wings than hers fly.
    Anyway she’s been inside since hatching on Sunday (now Thursday) as the weather has been bad. Today though it is nice and still so I took her outside to see how she could fly, and she can, but not well. Although she manages to travel short distancees and land in low lying plants she can’t get too high off the ground and I just can’t risk it . She looks so very small and fragile and I have visions of her being easily carried by the wind and then unceremoniously dumped on the ground and because of her tiny size she’d be easily trodden on. If I had a safe open environment to let her loose in I probably would, but living here in surburbia I can’t, so it’s inside with me she stays. I will take her out on still days I think so she can experience some flying – I think that’d be nice for her.

Swansong
    Participant

At the mo, as Im typing this, I have my Bi-pod on my shoulder. Of course I have mainly quadrapods (thankfully). Ive had a tri-pod, and yes, now a bi-pod. I DONT want a mono-pod.

Anywayz Bi-pod’s wings are “all there” as they say, and pretty straight, but its just one side is a little smaller than the other side. Also the probiscus seems to only have 1/2 a side if you can get what I mean but it doesnt seem to affect her ability to eat as her abdomen is as fat as ( she eats plenty) and she quivers and wants to fly and is full of beans.. So, looking side on you can see another Little coil thats independant from the main coil. Strange eh? pumpkin for ya?. She can actually fly OK but I wont let her outside as sometimes her smaller wings get caught up with her larger ones and swap places. When they do this she basically “helicopters” down. When she flies well its too well, and she might disappear and then not be able to food when her wings “turn inside out”. Nope, inside with me she stays.

Cheers Swansong.

zoe9
    Participant

Oh that’s so cute – bless him.
    I have tried to get my husband involved but I wasn’t as successful as you.
    I had 5 who were due to hatch and a dog who was waiting for her walk but I didn’t want to leave until they were out and I knew they were safe. Four hatched without incident, but the fifth was taking his time so I left my husband in charge and took the dog out. My parting words were “I’m sure he’ll be fine, just make sure he has a good grip”.
    When I returned an hour later my husband was standing on the front porch looking very stressed. As luck would have it this fifth one had a dodgy front leg and although he’d hung on long enough to extend his wings he’d then started falling and his wings were still soft, so my poor husband had spent the last 30 minutes watching him and picking him up and trying to find something he could grip to.
    Have to say he was MOST relieved when I returned and he promptly handed all butterfly duties back to me and went off and did his own thing. Ah well.
    As a PS to this the buttefly was fine and adapted to his weak front leg by hooking his entire leg over whatever he was holding on to.

margie
    Participant

Hi zoe9
    Thanks for the reply. re your husband thinking you are obsessed do what I did get him involved with you. Last year my husband thought I spent to much time running around plants etc but I got him involved slowly by asking for help with things I had to do for the wriggling family. He watched a pillar change into a chrysalis and then a butterfly hatch and he was hooked. Now he is only to happy to help especially moving the buckets around in winter and preparing my boxs for the butterflies if the weather is to wet to let them go, now he is building me a butterfly house and potting room, we (pillars)and I couldn’t manage as well without him.
    Cheers Margie

zoe9
    Participant

Oh you sound like me. I know where most of mine are and regularly check on them when they’re close to hatching to make sure all goes well and I do get upset if I miss any and they run into problems.
    As for that surgery, yikes is all I can say. Don’t think I’d ever attempt it – easier I think just to keep them safe inside and fed. Sad they don’t get to fly thuogh, but as least they have some sort of life as a butterfly. Plus my husband would probably divorce me if I started butterfly surgery – he already thinks I’m obsessed with them (which I am, I admit it!)

margie
    Participant

Thanks Zoe9 I am guttered as I usually keep a close eye on them when they are close to hatching but I was away out and missed it I will wait and see how it is tomorrow and go from there keeping my fingers crossed it may fly. I have found an article on the net http://www.livemonarch.com/hospital.htm that shows how to replace a wing with one off a dead butterfly but I don’t think I have the nerve to attempt it at this stage.
    Margie

zoe9
    Participant

Hi Margie
    Once the wings are dry there’s not much you can do if one is damaged or bent. From my experience if it’s just a slight bend he may still be able to fly. However if it’s a more severe bend (especially both wings on the one side) he probably won’t.
    At the moment I’m looking after 5 ‘damaged’ butterflies. A few hatched with problems, but two are the result of the bad weather we’ve been having here. They fell after their wings straightened but before they’d hardened and unfortunately I didn’t find them in time to rescue them.
    Being the big softie I am and wanting to help they all now live together in a big plastic container in my living room and get fed twice a day with sugar water. Most live at least two weeks like this, but some live much longer. I figure it’s the least I can do – I always feel sad if something happens and they can’t fly.
    Good luck with your guy.

margie
    Participant

Yes we have had a wee bit of rain in the last 2 days but it is nice today and the weather looks settled I know what you mean re the muggy heat noticed that when I went to Auckland we don’t get it like that here so much, Hang in there will get better I am sure it can’t rain forever we would hope 🙂
    I have a butterfly that has hatched and it fell down I found it on the ground and it has a bent wing that is already dry, do you know if it will be alright or what do you think I should do? Is there any way I can straighten it both wings on the left side are effected they have a definate fold in them
    Cheers Margie

Jacqui

That’s great, Margie! Means that summer is still here!!

I’m currently in Dargaville and I am FED UP with the incessant weather, which is just so changeable – muggy, showery, cold, dry, showery, showery, rainy, heavy rain, showery, muggy. And most of hte time it’s muggy and wet. Just when you think you can safely go outside and stay dry… it rains again.

ugh.

Jacqui

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.