newby member

• Creator
    Topic

Tony_m
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    I am growing plants for the first time and have 8 small plants with 25 caterpillars on them 2 of the plants have been eaten to the stalks and I don’t think the rest is enough for the amount of feeders. do I get more plants, feed them something else or just let nature take its course. I cant bare to see the little guys trying to pick off what’s left on the stalks. any help would be great.
    I am in ChCh Lincoln area.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony_m
    Participant

thanks heaps, I didn’t expect the plants to be so successful so quickly I’ll need to get down the garden centre or maybe buy more plants from here. some of these fella’s are monsters with an appetite to match, it’s very exciting.

Butternut
    Participant

Hi Tony – I’m sure one of the more experienced members will come and comment on what the best plan of action is but you will need more plants – depending on what ‘instar'(when they moult) the caterpillars are in. You can feed them pumpkin when they are in the last instar (before they pupate) – search the forums and there is plenty of info on how to prepare the pumpkin for the old ones. Someone in Christchurch might have more plants you could buy/have or check Mitre 10 or garden centres etc.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.