Nipping centres of Swan Plants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi All,

Well hubby has cracked it with the wasp traps. He has caught an asian paper wasp in one with the fermented honey, grapes and water. He was grinning like a cheshire cat;-)) I tell you. Nothing in any of the others.

Patz will be in touch very soon. Been a crazy couple of afternoons after I got home and time has got away on me!!

Cheers
    Charlotte

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Charlotte
    Thanks – every bit of information is very helpful for a beginner like me. You seem to be doing really well for a relative newcomer to the butterfly world.
    Yep – just in Henderson. I did contact Mijan a while ago when Jacqui sent their details.
    I’ll email her to contact you with mine.
    thanks
    Trisha – Patz

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Jacqui,

We have tried jellimeat and no luck, it sat out there in the heat for 4 days and still nothing!!. I think we may try sardines or like you say a piece of rotten meat. Oh my I think hubby can deal with that 1, he has no sense of smell so he will be fine!! hehe.
    Ewww as for maggots I not going near it, sorry Jacqui yuk yuk!!;-).
    Hubby is also used to dealing with them, as he repairs the rubbish trucks and sometimes they have enormous maggots in the back. Oh shudder the thought.

THanks Trisha, yes it is just stakes hammered into the ground and we brought bird netting from Kings Plant Barn, from memory I think it cost $24 for all the netting. We didn’t buy per metre, they have some bundled up and in a pot beside all the netting, plastic etc at Kings. Then hubby has nailed it to the fence.

I see Trisha you live in Henderson, you are more than welcome to come and look at our setup. Email Jacqui and ask her for my email. Then we can email each other and you can come and look, as we are in Massey.We have made contact with Mijan (Mitch & Jan).

We brought some more plants from Kings on the weekend, and hubby has nipped the centres from those ones. I will check with him, as he is the green finger not me!!
    Someone else on here might know also.

Cheers
    Charlotte.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good photos – is the shelter just stakes hammered into the ground and mosquito netting over?
    Asked the question in another post, but how big do you let the plants grow before nipping the centre?
    Thanks
    Trisha

Jacqui

Can I suggest you also try one with a piece of rotten meat, smelly meat. At this time of the year when they wasps are eating our caterpillars, they’re on the search for protein (e.g. caterpillars), not sweet things. It’s only when the young wasps leave the nest that all of the wasp population start looking for sweet things. That’s accordign to the wasp man I spoke with.

Reminds me… I used to use a piece of smelly meat in a trap for blowflies on the farm. The chooks used to love the maggots that would fall out – how’s the for recycling?

Charlotte
    Participant

HI Swansong & Jacqui,

Yes I hate getting up early, but that horrible 4 letter word WORK!!. As I live in Auckland and the traffic is shocking and my start time is 7am, I have to leave at 6.15am, so hence the 5am rising. Now if I could win lotto, we could both retire and potter to our hearts content in the garden ;-), but thats not gonna happen.

Its great to have something that we are both interested in and can do together. I said to him, when we are old we will be out here with our walking sticks, hahahahahaa.

We also went to Mijan’s another members home yesterday to see ther setup. I must say a neat feeling to meet others and to see what they do. Her hubby grabs the wasps and squishes with his fingers, oh my I nearly had a heart attack!!. But everyone is different. MIne uses the blinkin tennis racket. He has now got an elctronic zapper, so heaven help any bug around the plants. heheeheheheehe.

Jacqui he is using different things in different bottles. In 1 he has grapes squashed with just water. In another he has grapes, water and a lil honey with jam smeared on the funnel tip to attract them. We do have a 50 – 50 mixture of honey and water fermenting at the moment. This should be ready tonight. So I guess another bottle shall be hung!!. He is so determined to get them in there. One thing I can say for this man of mine. He is PERSISTENT!! never gives up..

Ooh I better get back to work!! I am skivving off to write this ;-)).

Cheers
    Charlotte

Jacqui

Fantastic Charlotte – looks like your’e doing a great job. What bait is your husband using in the traps at present? We haven’t been visited by wasps in a huge way this year, I’m very pleased to say. Mind you, after the first flush of eggs in September, there aren’t many around now. Still, it will give the plants a chance to grow.

Jacqui

Swansong
    Participant

AH flutterbys I see Im not the only night owl AND/OR early morning riser around here…
    : ) … looks like you are well set up, and your plants look great! Neat to have hubbies that like Monarchs too. Mine made my frame for me for my net which is great!

Many Cheers’
    Swansong

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Swansong,

Thanks for the comments. Wasps can still get through this netting, but we keep an eye on the plants. We want these plants to be our feeding stock. Still trying all different ways to attract the wasps to the trap. I tell you hubby will not give up till he has found a way of trapping them..

It will be like 10 green bottles hanging in the swan plant tress. ROTFLMAO ;-)).

Oh they are my xmas tree lights. We decorate our house up every year for the grandkids and the neighbourhood.

Cheers
    Charlotte

Swansong
    Participant

Lovely piks Flutterbys! Your nipped ones should grow further into lovely healthy plants and look wonderful now.

Instead of getting a netting that has about 1 Sq” holes I wished I had of got some like yours. It looks like in your photo that it adequately lets the sun through, which was a concern of mine. Consequently mine only stops M.Monarch but not wasps. I killed what looked like a paper wasp yesterday.

Hey what are those white curly things in your garden?

Cheers
    Swansong

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.