No eggs

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

rosemjuliet
    Participant

I now have 20 green bushy plants and am impatient as no eggs. Can anyone in the Christchurch (Rolleston )area let me know if they have had ‘visits’.

Usually I have many eggs by this time.(anyone have any that need feeding?)

Thanks

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Aidan

Can I suggest you start a new a thread for this. You might be lost amongst the “no eggs” posts when you actually have caterpillars to give away.
    Pretty sad having starving ones, and I think you’ll get some takers if the offer is more easily found.

Best
    Trisha

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, I’m in Hoon Hay, Christchurch. I’m surprised by what I’ve read today as for me it is the opposite. I’ve had way too many eggs laid and currently have 20 or 30 monarch caterpillers to give away. I can’t grow plants fast enough and the caterpillers keep stripping them and then starve before maturing. If you have plenty of bushy plants but not many caterpillers, call me, 021 33 66 00. Pick up is from Hoon Hay, Christchurch. Cheers.

Swansong
    Participant

Well I have 4 or 5 resident butterflies doing loops in the sky and all sorts of other sundry aerobatics but still no eggs. NO EGGS MEANS NO “PILLARZ :-(((((. All my swannies are doing well and its like Im all dressed up and nowhere to go.

I’m still trying to identify with an absolute positive confirmation that theres a lady in the mix. Me thinx Im gunna have to aquire a net. IF something doesnt happen soon Im going to have to send out an SOS.

Swansong

Swansong
    Participant

Thats lovely rosemjuliet, Im sure you will relish the sight, so long as everything doesnt expire in those awful temps youre having! Now I need to get home and see if anythings happened on mine.

Cheers
    Swansong

rosemjuliet
    Participant

It took until 7th Jan but now have had visits and eggs. In fact on the underneath of one leaf four of them, one almost on top of another. I know I have been impatient and am till wondering why so late this year. Never mind, I have counted at least 40 eggs and 5 or 6 butterflies yesterday. I am sure they will hatch quickly with the high temps in Christchurch.Can now sit back and enjoy!!

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi,

I have noticed here in West Auckland I have quite a few males patrolling the patch. I released a few females last week. My plants are very healthy and had lots of eggs on them, but I think those dam wasps are getting them!!. The covered over plants have pillars on them, but when the pillars come to the front of the net and sun themselves. Those darn wasps get them. I have a few holes in my mosquito net, where those darn things have got through. SO any pillars that make it to big fatties are then transferred through to my butterfly house.
    The wasp attractant we brought and other remedies are not working with these wasps. The only thing working is hubby with his electronic bat and going on patrol in the garden!!. But he is back to work next week ;-((.

Cheers
    Charlotte

Swansong
    Participant

Well I still have NO eggs either. Today I verified (say 95% sure) that one of 3 butterflies hanging around is a female. These have been around for days and Im pretty sure they are my December releases. (Should have marked them) Everytime Ive been able to get a glimpse of one its been a male. In times past when Monarchs have been around Ive always seen the female laying even if my visits to my garden were somewhat sporadic and of short duration. My visits to my garden have certainly increased of late and I have not seen any egg laying at all. Strange. One thing ive noticed is a tiny (compared to our bigger wasps) black/dark wasplike insect. Meanwhile my plants are getting healthier and coming on nicely. If I dont see anything happen soon I’ll take a potted plant into my mums and see “what gives” in town.

Swansong

Jacqui

Another report today of “no Monarch butterflies” from the Christchurch area – this time it’s Bexley. What is going on down there?

Jacqui

Hey! I’m in Russell, Bay of Islands, that is DEFINITELY not Auckland. 🙂

We had a request in the mail for some eggs today from someone in Christchurch. I wonder what’s going on down there. I think Vicky has had plenty… will ask her to report in sometime.

Jacqui

rosemjuliet
    Participant

Hi Sue. I am glad someone in my area is also lacking Monarch visits. At first it seemed as everyone on this site was in Auckland. Our forecast is really warm for the next few days, so here’s hoping. I have no aphids and very few wasps around and am always checking for eggs. I probably only have about 30 at the moment.

kinnigit
    Participant

Sue here in Prebbleton. I’ve been going to ask where are the monarchs as I had three generations of caterpillars through here last summer and not even an adult this summer until today. I wonder if our late frost set the butterflies back a bit. There has been the odd red and yellow admiral about here. This morning I saw a monarch and an admiral fluttering past the buddleia.

The big swan plants over from last year have been heavily infested with aphids and I’m trying to grow up some replacements.

Jacqui

I am sure they will! 🙂 I would love to see the butterflies on your buddleia – we don’t have RAs up here (Northland) 🙁 but maybe we will get some, SOON.

Jacqui

rosemjuliet
    Participant

Lovely light purple flowers. Today with little blue butterflies and 3 red admirals. All other plants looking lush -but_ only one or two visits so far. Have about 30 eggs)at last)
    Am impatient for more though. I suppose since a couple have laid more will come eventually??

VickySteele
    Participant

Hi rosemjuliet

Glad to hear the buddleia is flowering – are the flowers a nice colour? I was thinking about trying that one in my garden.

Oderings at Yaldhurst Road don’t have eggs yet either. And they were late last year as well. For some reason the butterflies seem to be slow in heading in that direction.

Have you got any eggs yet? It has been great egg laying weather. If you don’t have any, and want to wait a couple of days, Terra Viva have a nice batch of eggs that will caterpillars soon. They’re always keen to have people adopt them! Terra Viva is only about 10 minutes from Oderings.

Vicky

missd
    Participant

Hi all

I am just a newbie here but are excited to say I had my first visit from Mrs Monarch this morning and have to admit that i stopped what I was doing to watch her magic.
    Jacqui I think you are right about the weather conditions as today is sunny with little wind and she laid plenty of eggs. Now I have to be patient to wait for the pillars to grow. Anyway back to my garden.
    Rosemjuliet I hope you see some progress soon.
    Karen

rosemjuliet
    Participant

no I have not seen any yet and have had noreast winds. Not many wasps here either. Have heard tha sunny days are due from tomorrow so will keep watching. Even planted a Buddleia which is flowering and ready!!

Jacqui

Hi rosemjuliet

Have you seen butterflies around your bushes? Have you had sunny weather? If you have had sunny weather and not too much (strong) wind, and you have seen butterflies, then I suspect you have wasps visiting the bushes.

I hope that you soon have plenty of butterflies/caterpillars. We’ve certaily got them up here.

Jacqui

Swansong
    Participant

Wow! Are they (the butterflies) that spoilt for choice in CHCH??? If that keeps up,in about a month or so I’d say you’ll be the envy of a lot of people as usually its the other way around….too many pillars and not enough food. The butterflies shouldnt be too far away I’d think though. Quite often where I am they dont visit until well into the new year, but Im fairly isolated from other properties. Still, it hasnt been that way this year. Ive had a visit from M.Maonarch a coupla months back.

Hopefully you’ll get a visit soon.

Cheeers
    Swansong

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.