No Monarchs yet.

• Creator
    Topic

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have hundreds of swan plants in glorious flower and no monarchs in sight.  is it too early for them? i planted wildflowers for bees and butterflies this year and they are flowering madly too, but my garden is devoid of butterflies.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Pepetuna
    Participant

I’m coming down to Christchurch next week, and will be bringing some Monarch caterpillars down for a lady from Rolleston. If anyone else in Christchurch wants some, please email me kate@brightwings.co.nz and I will bring some down for you too. They will need to be collected from Aidenfield on Tuesday 15-Jan-2013.

Caryl
    Participant

Wellington monarchs – I have nursed 36 cats through to birth – first eggs laid Aug 29th which took more than 77 days to butterfly hence few monarchs in Wellington as all the winter over females had died. Every day now the new season females are laying their eggs. I am in Seatoun, Wellington. Gave some eggs to a friend in Lower hutt, gave him 10 and he got 5 monarchs born – the other 5 caterpillars disappeared or made chrysalis where we couldn’t find them.

Rachy babe
    Participant

Anyone else with updates on Wellington monarchs? Have 35 large healthy swan plants – it’s been weeks and no monarchs 🙁

Pepetuna
    Participant

There’s a another forum for Christchurch people http://christchurch-earthquake.com/topic/72161/no-butterflies#m850064 which has a lot of postings about Monarch (and White) butterflies in Christchurch.

swanfly
    Participant

Well after writing I had seen no monarch in Waipukurau yesterday one showed up today.  Didnt see it land on the swan plant but now have one egg : )

swanfly
    Participant

No Monarchs yet where we live in Waipukurau either.  We looked at two spots in Napier where there are usually plenty, none there either

clintdr
    Participant

Hi.

I have one caterpillar hanging and one which will hang in a few days.

I live in Taupo.

joanna
    Participant

I’m in Masterton (so not far from Wgtn, but hotter) and saw my first monarch of the season only last weekend. My neighbour has been watching out too and has only been seeing the odd one over the last week. So it could be a poor season here too. I have a swan plant but no eggs as yet.

Jacqui

Yes, those cages are definitely a big advantage. Protect plants from egg-laden Monarchs, or protect your caterpillars from all those predators out there.

Caterpillar Castles

medusa
    Participant

I live in Nelson and have released 28 Monarchs from 12th December to the 17th. I now have two plants which have about 10 eggs on which I now have in a cage as I don’t want to be over-run with too many cats and not enough food. Having a cage means I have an excellent success rate as I can control and protect their development from wasps, ants etc.

Pepetuna
    Participant

Rachy Babe in Wellington: I believe the Monarchs will be able to find your plants even though you are on a hill and I don’t think the slight shading of your plants will bother them either. The thing is that if there aren’t many Monarchs flying it doesn’t matter how attractive your plants are. There is still plenty of time for you to raise some on your 35 plants – in the meantime they are growing every day and will provide more food when you do have some caterpillars. I’d also take on board Gael Butterfly Queen’s suggestion, and hose down your plants, particularly if it hasn’t rained.

Suggests:

Sometimes plant growers spray them so they have plants to sell so it is a good idea to hose them down because insects wont survive near them if that is the case.

Also go looking for plants that already have eggs to add to your collection of food

Rachy babe
    Participant

Also, I live on the side of a hill. Will monarchs still travel and lay up there or do they keep to the flat?

Rachy babe
    Participant

I brought 35 swan plants and not a single monarch laying eggs yet either 🙁 (I check for eggs daily),mind you it has only been a couple of weeks since I brought the plants. I’m in Wellington and haven’t seen a single monarch this season yet. I have my plants in a bunch on my deck ever so slightly sheltered by the trees, will this prevent monarchs laying? I’m also anxious I will not get monarchs. Also about the ear wig thing, I have a lot of earwigs in my garden, how can I prevent them preying on my caterpillars when/if I do get them?

Charlotte
    Participant

We are in Massey, West AUckland and have had Monarchs on a daily basis for the last month or so.

We usually end up with about 6 – 8 on really fine days here feeding on the Buddleia flowers.

Over the last week more than 50 butterflies have emerged in my Westmere garden. The 20 or more swan plants are way taller than me. Last year was very disappointing with so many wasps that I got out with my fly spray an shot them with a squirt in a direction away from the plant or between plants. SUCCESS -)

Caryl
    Participant

I am in Wellington and have posted earlier about the monarchs here. First eggs laid 29 August which took more than 77 days to hatch. In the meantime all the female winter overs had died so I monitored the caterpillars and took them inside. I only have had 3o monarchs born with more males than females. I took a friend 10 caterpillars and he has had just 5 born, the other caterpillars wandered off. I don’t think the season will be good here either. I have a few more eggs  right now.

Errol
    Participant

Thanks Jacqui, I”m not too worried just yet though.  As I’ve had plenty on my plate with breeding Admirals. All the same I will check the swan plants more often and more thoroughly, than just a cursory glance once a day.

Jacqui

Errol, just saw this post in another forum, people commenting on a lack of caterpillars:

The earwigs hide themselves away during the daytime and come out at night, that is why you don’t see them. They also carry small larvae off to eat, so if your larvae are just disappearing without a trace they would be prime suspects.”

Another thing to be aware of!

Jacqui

Hi Errol

I would be highly suspicious that you’ve just got Monarchs patrolling and no eggs.  How many Monarchs are there flying around? They will undoubtedly be males – watching for females to come past and they will mate with them.

If you haven’t SEEN any egglaying going on,could itl be that it has happened and the eggs have been taken by predators? One way to find out if that’s happening is to wrap a branch up in a piece of curtain fabric to preclude all ants, praying mantises, wasps etc, and take it off in a week to see if there’s any caterpillars there.

Just a suggestion – it worked for me some years ago.

Errol
    Participant

I’m in Motueka and there are quite a few Monarchs flying about in the backyard. But none as yet have laid any eggs on the swan plants growing outside for them. 

So at the moment I have plenty of swan plants to feed them, but I guess when I do get some ‘pillars’ I will probably need every leaf there is.

If I don’t get any naturally laid eggs soon, I’ll just pop down to Mitre 10 and get some ‘pillars’ off their plants outside for sale. This is where I got most of my breeding stock from last year.

Pepetuna
    Participant

I’ve not seen any Monarch butterflies on the wing at my place either, despite releasing hundreds last season. I have spoken to various people around Hamilton, and they have said the same thing: No Monarchs to be seen. On the other hand, several people from Hamilton/Te Awamutu have had so many eggs laid that they ran out of food. One of our long-time members, Faye from Hamilton, told me she has had chrysalises eclosing earlier than ever. So not sure whether there really are fewer butterflies or not.

What have others found? Please say in your posts where you are. Also, if you have a problem running out of food, share it with the Forum. Someone in your area may be like Copper, who started this thread, and have lots of host plant and no caterpillars or eggs.

milkweed
    Participant

I released 2 monarchs yesterday in Marton that are the first new ones of this season. another bunch will be hatching within 10 days or so.

Jacqui

Hi Copper

Whereabouts are you? This would be helpful. While a few people in Christchurch have reported some Monarch activity, more people (5-6) have said they haven’t seen many Monarchs at all.

If you look around the forum (redesigned, so a bit more difficult while we get to know the new layout) you’ll find there are people offering to send eggs to those who haven’t seen any Monarchs.

It is certainly not too early for Monarchs – but that depends on what part of New Zealand you’re living in.

Hope this is helpful. Scroll down, please, and add your response here.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.