Odd Butterfly

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Anonymous
    Inactive

Found a female butterfly with a 10cm wingspan and it can’t fly. It did not look too good so fed it on fresh manuka honey and water – which it drank greedily! It seemed not to be able to fold it’s wings together as they usually do. I kept this one and have been nursing it. It looked better on day 2. been the same up to today. Often took it out and let it walk on the grass while doing some gardening.

Noticed that it often did a flip upsidedown and ended up by putting it on it’s feet. As the wings folded down.

Today put it in a situation that when I went out it would not tip over. When I came back, found the wings as they should be. Though often as it walks the wings go down again. The long body goes around in a circle all the time.

It is getting plenty of exercise.

Is it possible to get it to fly?

Pam

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dear Gilly,

My little “Flutterbye” is stil alive today after 4 weeks and 5 days. She seems quite cheerful and always loves the fresh flowers that I bring her or else I feed her on honey and water or sugar and water ususaly freshly made. She does flutter her wings but can’t fly. Still she appears happy enough.

Pam

Gilly
    Participant

Tis distressing when something goes wrong…. I had one of 18 that I released today that was attacked by a praying mantis… I didn’t get to her in time….. I was so angry at praying mantis I nearly chopped her head off!!!! I didn’t but….. butterfly died….. but I HAVE to think of the 17 that perhaps did make it. Tis a jungle out there 🙁

May your little one have a happy life Pam 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

This monarch is now 4 weeks and 2 days old. She is called “Flutterbye” and is quite healthy at the moment.
    Pam

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry the moarch in question is a female.
    Pam

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dear Gilly,

This one can’t fly and when he does ends up turning upside down and have to put him up the right way up. However, will keep her as a pet and try to give him a good life.
    Pam

Gilly
    Participant

I hope so Pam! I had one the other day that had difficulties flying … kept rescuing him and bringing him back indoors. Eventually on Day 3 he soared into the air and I haven’t seen him since. Hope your little one makes it.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.