Ophryocystis elektroscirrha

• Creator
    Topic

Jeannette
    Participant

As the season was drawing to a close and I noticed the comatose cats, I also found some that had turned black and were hanging in a V shape. Now I have read about Oe I realize that this is what it is. All the cats that had this happen to them were quite small (none of the older ones got sick) and were at one end of my swan plant patch. I am hoping that the winter will kill off the parasite. It is not obvious to me looking at my plants which ones are affected and which ones aren’t. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to tell if a plant in infected with Oe, and will the winter stop it or do I need to treat all of the plants since I can’t tell – and is there something I can treat them with?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

LeslieD
    Participant

I just follow the instructions on the packet .. especially if there is no caterpillars on the plant a full strength dose can’t hurt .. I’m inclined to make it a bit weaker if there are caterpillars there. full strength for caterpillar castles and other gear thats been in use as well.

Jeannette
    Participant

oh thank you so much. Very helpful. I will get some on my next outing. All the caterpillars are gone now so I will spray the plants next fine day without wind.

Jacqui

Agree with Leslie. I don’t have the dilution rate to hand – what percentage do you do, Leslie? (I’m using my phone, sitting at White Cross Emergency… waiting forever).

LeslieD
    Participant

IMO you may as well assume they are all infected and spray them with Miltons .. you can buy miltons from a supermarket and is hospital grade disinfectant at a very good price. I spray caterpillar castles and any other equipment I use for butterflies with miltons too.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.