Our thoughts are with you, ChCh earthquake victims

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

lawrence pope
    Participant

We are sad to hear about the earthquake, so our thoughts and feeling with you, and the Monarch breeders that have been affected by the ChCh earthquake. We hope you all well!

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies

MaryL
    Participant

Thankyou Jacqui for putting my e-mail on the forum, I still nip off to my sons on the odd occasion but I am at home most of the time now. I found it harder this time around didn’t want to be on my own. It will take a long time for us to recover from this ,we have been told that the sewer system is on the brink of collapse if that happens the whole city will be enveloped in a huge stench that will take months to go away. Although we have water we have to use it as little as possible because of the sewers. We now have communal showers set up in various places here in the Eastern Suburbs to also help with this problem as are the chemical toilets. I would like to thank everyone for there kind words and to all the people that raised so much money thankyou so much it really is appreciated. I never want to be in another one of these Quakes and hope that the rest of New Zealand isn’t either.I still have about 40 chrysalids and 20 cats left I hope they all make it, we are now getting much cooler nights I do have them on my terrace which has a roof over it hope this will help. I will also bring some inside. While I was writing this we had another 4.0 quake . Regards MaryL

Jacqui

Message from Mary, another Christchurch member:

…I was at my sons for 2-1/2weeks and that was the first day I had turned my computer on wasnt even interested. I did however manage to keep my Swan plants going thanks to my son’s friend who had their water on almost straight away and gave enough to do that. My Monarchs were on the terrace in their castles and somehow they survived the Quake ,they have helped me to cope and I have now released 116.

I was in the Supermarket when it struck but I am okay still fearful as it was a terrifing experience and the pictures you see on television don’t really show what the city is like. Here in the eastern Suburbs the roads are a mess my Lane and many roads now flood when it rains it really does resemble a war zone and there will be reminders for years to come. Still no sewage could take up to 2 yrs We have been supplied with chemical loos. Many houses look alright from the road but are writeoffs. Mine and my neighbours are on a lean . I hope nowhere else in New Zealand ever has to go through it . At least we are alive my heart and prayers are with those whose loved ones lost their lives that is the most tragic thing of all…

Jacqui

From Di, in response to a note I wrote on her newsletter:

> Hi Jacqui,

> Yes I?m fine, just shaken, rattled and rolled, and still shaking, rattling and rolling with the aftershocks, some of which seem brutal!

> No structural damage to my flat apart from a few more hairline cracks in the ceiling, but lost some ornaments(less dusting to do now!) and just a huge tidy up asat least half my books came off the bookshelves, C D Tower fell,Computer Monitor fell from higher shelf to lower shelf of desk and KILLED the mouse-put a huge dent in one of the buttons so that the ball was jammed, Hard Drive shifted on its shelf, a lot of the contents of the pantry bit the dust, and some other kitchen and bathroom cupboards opened themselves and moved things around. Lost power for 13 hours, water for 3 days and loo for 4 days, but not enough pressure for shower for 10 days. Smudge (cat) didn?t like me digging holes in her garden area! That was for her, not me!
    >
    > Second brood of butterflies have all hatched and flown away, at one stage I had 130+ chrysalis? in my small courtyard, and all my plants munched, am now trying to get some leaves to grow back for 3rd brood but I think autumn is going to beat me to it this year, as we have already had NIPPY nights.

> Still lots of Monarchs flying around, the earthquakes don?t seem to have upset them but the birds have been noticeably and strangely quiet since Feb 22nd.

> Smudge does warn me of a bigger tremor, but most of the smaller ones she just lifts her head and says?not you again? and goes back to sleep.Wish I could, sleep I mean!

> Anyway, all?s well, and I am surviving.

> Thanks Jacqui, for your thoughts. Tell the forum that it will take more than a Quake to get rid of us-we are bred tough down here!!
    > Di

Jacqui

From Bee, Christchurch member:

In the midst of our trauma about the earthquake we have had several Monarchs hatching out and flying away in the last few days and 2 today. We are OK as is our house. We now have a large fissure across the back lawn, but nothing compared to the loss of life and total destruction suffered by many people.

VickySteele
    Participant

Thanks for all the messages 🙂 We’re fine, a bit (a lot!) on edge, but coping. We were allowed into our Mall for a few hours today to retrieve what we could and it looks like a bomb has gone off in there.

Butterflies have not been much on my mind since September – my garden is full of nectar and I’ve had lots of visitors, but I have no hostplants here.

I do, however, have the world’s largest nettle patch in my sister’s pristine garden at West Melton, hehe. Red and Yellow Admirals are plentiful out there, along with Common and Southern Blues. Not a bad place to spend time. Hugh and I graze our horse, Ajay, out there and enjoy the quiet of the country. The aftershocks from the 1st earthquake were far worse here in the West, but better for the 2nd earthquake.

We’re fine … plenty have suffered so much more than us. Please keep up the good work for the Red Cross fund – there are a lot of people who will need plenty of help in the coming months.

Charlotte
    Participant

I read in our newsletter that comes out fortnightly where I work (MercyAscot)that they are donating $20,000 to CHCH.

I did see a post on Facebook about people wanting homes for a few nights, and people with no jobs.
    I’ve had a few people apply for jobs from CHCH.

I take my hat off to you Vicky staying in CHCH with all that is going on.

Cheers
    Char

Jacqui

Great to see you back, Vicky. I’m sorry to hear about your business – you’d put so much time into it.

I’ve been trying to track down four or five members of an international women’s friendship group living in Christchurch. Their phones just ring and ring or go to answerphone – which tells you nothing. It’s horrible not knowing.

Yes Russell raised $45,731.90 (at last total). There were all sorts of donations and it sounds like they had a wonderful evening up there. One couple visiting Russell donated $10,000. Gill and Eldon donated three nights’ accommodation. Some marvellous packages went for auction.

Vicky – please tell us more about your butterflies – and share your knowledge with us. Many of us could would appreciate your help and advice.

Jacqui

Charlotte
    Participant

Glad to hear you and your staff and Hugh are all ok Vicky.
    My thoughts went out to you all when I heard the news.
    Like you say it’s only stuff and you have insurance and can start again.

Well done I say to the town of Russell that is an amazing effort to raise $45,000.
    My granddaughters school is having a mufti day today and they have to wear red/black and all the proceeds goes to CHCH.

Good to see you back in the forum to Vicky. We’ve missed you;-)

Cheers
    Char

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes Vicky, I think many people are realising the beauties of nature they take for grated in Chch. I thought it was great to see Butterflies etc carrying on business as normal.

Robert.

Hope things work out with the shop.

VickySteele
    Participant

Certainly not an experience we want to go through again – the sheer violence of the event will take a long to fade in our memories.

Truly though, ChCh residents are much heartened by the response from the rest of the country, and overseas. There are some very brave people here, searching the rubble.

Our cute puppy is fine, although he seems to be a bit stressed at times. Possibly those feelings are wafting off Hugh and I and it unsettles him. My pet sparrow has stopped singing, although Gill said that could be the change of season.

Weird times, scary times (again!), but we feel less alone with the rest of the country supporting us.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Impossible for us not there to even begin to imagine, Vicky.
    So very sorry about your business. Glad you have your house and loved ones. How’s that cute puppy?
    That is a wonderful effort from Russell – a lot from a small community 🙂
    Most of NZ seems to be trying to do its bit. All very sad it was Chch, but hard not feel extremely grateful it wasn’t us. Best we can do is keep the $$$$$ rolling in and offer what services we can.
    Best
    Trisha

VickySteele
    Participant

Thanks Trisha 🙂 Our house is fine, but our business is buried somewhere beneath the ceiling, broken glass, and our smashed gifts are lying in liquefaction. We’re not allowed in there because the Mall has suffered a lot of damage. Still, its only stuff, we and our staff got out ok and we have insurance.

I had an amazing email from Gill Jackson last night – the Russell community have raised almost $45,000 for Christchurch! Thank you Russell, what an astounding effort 🙂 Also thanks also to the rest of the country who are doing so much fundraising, it is very much appreciated and humbling.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Was very glad to hear the other day that you and yours are all safe, Vicky 🙂
    My niece also tells me the butterflies flying are so neat to see when so much is grim around the city.

VickySteele
    Participant

Who knows how many were lost … but it has been a bumper butterfly season regardless. Seeing butterflies, hearing the birds sing … all things sometimes taken for granted but now much appreciated by many of us in this suffering city.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, lots of Monarchs & reasonable numbers of Yellow Admirals are flying there at present. Hopefully they find food to lay eggs on.

I just wonder how many caterpillars got buried in that liquidfaction stuff. Again I will be re-starting my Chch Nettle patch. Luckily it’s easy to dig out buried Swan Plants so they can grow on.

Robert.

Charlotte
    Participant

Well said Lawrence and my thoughts and prayers are with all those in Christchurch.

Cheers
    Char.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.