Over wintering monarch eggs!

• Creator
    Topic

Desiderata
    Participant

I am,as yet to see Monarchs in my garden. So to my surprise this morning I found two baby cats on one of my swan plants. No eggs to see on any other of my bushes so I’m making the assumption that these two were the last of last season eggs, and as the weather cooled they went into some form of statis. Continuing their growth cycle once the weather warmed up. Am I correct in thinking this. Appreciate your comments.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Desiderata
    Participant

Thanks Jacqui and Caryl for your thoughts. I am surprised that there aren’t any more eggs on my many plants. Just two seams odd. Which made me thinking about egg stasis. I am in Roseneath wellington.

Caryl
    Participant

Hi Desiderata and Jacqui,
    I agree that they will be this season eggs. I have my first few chrysalises and have only seen a handful of females this season. I saw a monarch yesterday and couldn’t get close to it. I guessed it was a male since I now have 5 sections of swan plants in my garden all separate and the butterfly did not come to my garden (that I saw). Where are you in Wellington? I am in Seatoun.

Jacqui

From my experience, Desiderata, they would have been laid this season on a good day when a female has returned to your garden from overwintering. We found a tiny caterpillar in the garden yesterday on a very poor swan plant so it has been brought into custody, safe in its caterpillar castle.

You’re in Wellington, aren’t you? Caryl might have some more ideas…

Jacqui

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.