Paper wasps

• Creator
    Topic

kay2
    Participant

Big population this years of paper wasps killing so many of the caterpillars. Got plants in pots so can move them, they soon find them again. What else can be done?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Neil Wood
    Participant

Lots of paper wasps in Whangarei as well. We have close to 900 mature swan plants in a grove. Lots of Butterflies around, with 5 – 10 new Butterflies hatching out every day.
    I have tried the soft drink bottles with the top cut off and inverted.
    I have tried different baits, even Bought some “wasp Bait” from the local plant shop. Didn’t work.
    We have bought an electric bug zapper. Looks a bit like a tennis racket, but a bit smaller. Great for catching wasps. We have caught dozens of them.
    I am paying my kids 50 cents per wasp they catch.
    The “zapped” wasps are only stunned, so they must be put in a jar or trap to prevent them from continuing their nasty habits.
    But I still see the odd wasp eating a caterpillar.
    We live in a rural area with lots of bush, so the nests could be anywhere.
    We have sprinklers set up to water the plants, and I have noticed that when the sprinklers are operating, the wasps all disappear.
    Has anybody got a real answer for these nasty paper wasps??

kay2
    Participant

Thanks Jacquie I’ve read that now. Cannot see any nests on our section, possibily on the neighbours as I have seen them come over the fence. Other people we know have complained about the amount around here in Waipukurau. I put a net over and one of the wasps managed to get in still. They have reduced one tree from 40 cats to 10 and another tree loaded with eggs to half a dozen. I made some fake wasps nests however that hasn’t deterred them at all. They kill the big catasas well. I have bought two pots inside. When does the season of killing off the cats end? The pamphlet says end of summer, these days don’t know when that is. I caught one with clipper pushed it into the dirt and what do you know it flew out and started having another go at them. They get 100% for persistence.

Jacqui

And don’t forget the leaflet about this topic under Species / Pests. Explains everything!

Pepetuna
    Participant

If you have a lot of wasps, it might pay to check that you don’t have nests: they often build in hedges, especially corokia & pittosporum in my experience, under spouting and under eaves. I destroy them by waiting till evening when the wasps are home, and spraying with flyspray if there is no wind. Take the nest down and then squash it, so the wasp larvae are killed too.

kay2
    Participant

Another good idea. Thank you Liz

kay2
    Participant

Okay thank you Jacqui will do that, we have had rain for 3 days so no wasps around for now, see if they come out with the sun.

TgaLiz
    Participant

Totally agree Jacqui – I’m fed up with them too, altho I can see some now resting on flowers so maybe the change is on the way. I pick stalks from the swan plant that have eggs on the leaves and put them in a vase inside with paper towels underneath to catch the mess. I have 3 vases on a tray so I can seperate the sizes as the big ones harass the small. When they look near ready to ‘J’ I put some apple tree branch trimmings in the vase so they have somewhere secure to hang from.

Jacqui

Cover them with an old net curtain, Kay. I am having the same problem (I’m in Blockhouse Bay). Lots of eggs which I collect and then put under cover with a swan plant, but it’s pretty tedious.

Soon the juvenile wasps will be old enough to be foraging for their own food and then all of the wasps will change their diet to nectar – and we should get plenty of butterflies then. But I’m tired of the wasps NOW.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.