Parietaria debilis – Pellitory plant

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

ReneeFraser
    Participant

Hi. Does anyone possibly have any Pellitory? I want to get some Nettles but I'm reluctant to get the stinging ones because we have two small children and at this stage I don't have anywhere to plant them where the kids cannot get to them. Unless I only have them in hanging baskets and I don't really have a lot of room to hang baskets…

I saw another small butterfly today that was about the same size as a white cabbage butterfly/moth. It looked like a red admiral or a yellow admiral … it only landed for a couple of seconds and flew away again.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

ReneeFraser
    Participant

Yes I thought this may be the case. I could put them on the side of the garage … they will probably get more sunlight there. Otherwise I'll have to put them at the front where we already have gates – it's currently our BBQ area but we can always move the BBQ to the back of the house.
    I may have to do that.

Terry
    Participant

Hi Renee

Yellow Admirals and to a lesser extent Red Admirals need Nettles planted where they get plenty of sunshine or they won't lay eggs on them. Semi shade is OK but total shade won't attract them.

ReneeFraser
    Participant

Thanks all. At this stage I'm thinking about putting some at the back of our garage (behind it) and putting up gates to stop the kids from getting to it and to protect the butterflies from the kids and cats!

I'll remember to stay away from the Tree Nettle.

Terry
    Participant

Hi Renee

Norm is right about not worrying to much about the Children getting stung. Urtica Urens the Common Annual Nettle, would be safe to grow as is Incisa, australis, or Dioica, but Not Urtica Ferox the Tree Nettle as this is a bit too nasty for Kids. When I was very young I used to get stung by Nettles all the time because I started rearing Butterflies at an early age and believe it or not you become less affected the more you get stung, although it certainly makes one more careful.

Charlotte
    Participant

I am as well. But with the ideas that Swansong has given me I am willing to give it a try.
    You will need very long rubber gloves and a pair of tongs.

I would say Renee you will need the host plant as well to attract them. Would be just like the Monarch's you need the host plant and the nectar.
    Others will let you know on here as well.

I would suggest you start out with the Urtica incisa it has a bit less of a sting.
    I do come up in white lumps but it does go away.

I have my nettle plants outside and still waiting waiting for the Admirals to come by hopefully and lay;-)

Cheers
    Char

ReneeFraser
    Participant

Thanks all. Char I think I'm too scared to go near it. I am not one for pain! And my youngest gets Hives so that's why I'm apprehensive about the stinging nettle.
    I was thinking about putting a stinging nettle behind fencing or as someone suggested and put shadecloth or something around it. The thing is I'm too nervous to touch it myself! *sigh*

I don't really care which butterflies it attracts. I just want to encourage other butterflies into the garden. But yes, I would love to see Red or Yellow Admirals in the garden.
    What about the Buddleia? Would that attract them? I know it's not their food plant but would it entice them to come into the garden for the nectar?

Charlotte
    Participant

I agree with Norm Renee. I did buy the Pellitory plant from Oratia nursery for $10 and have placed it out the back with my other nettle plant varieties I have.
    The Pellitory has very very small leaves and you would need a lot of it to feed the y/a.

I would do what Norm suggests and put some shade cloth around or what about putting your nettle plants in hanging baskets?

Oratia nursery have most of your nettle plants and at very good prices as well;-)

I have plenty here come and dig some up if you like?

Cheers
    Char

Bernie
    Participant

Sorry ,I meant to say that I have no experience of your RED admiral

Bernie
    Participant

Hi Renee
    Norm is right. The yellow admiral does not do at all well on pellitory.
    Our Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta) however does very well on it and readily lays on it in the wild.
    I have no experience of your Red Admiral but I have reared Vanessa indica which also does well on pellitory which they lay on in Madeira.
    Best wishes (we have just had a little snow overnight!)
    Bernie F

NormTwigge
    Participant

Hi Renee,

Parietaria debilis is a "make do" plant for yellow admirals, and I have not known red admirals to use it. The y/a caterpillars do not mature on it as well as nettle. In fact they will often leave the plant at around 3rd instar and go looking for something else. A simple answer for growing nettles where there are young children is to stake some shade cloth around the nettle plants. Children learn not to play with bees or they may get stung, and the same applies in this instance.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.