photos of nettles

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

margie
    Participant

Hi all,

I have posted the photos of the nettles I have around here could someone please have a look and let me know if they are the ones for the admirals. I would much appreciate that and also how do you harvest the seeds and when? if they are the right plants.

Cheers Margie

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Terry
    Participant

Well put Norm

My method is slightly different but you have covered it better and in far more detail

Its a little late in the season, but you should be able to see at least sign of them, leaves pulled together with silk and also tiny white egg cases on the spines of the nettle, best of luck! I am still collecting cats from outside, but no new eggs. Being north you may be a little warmer so might still have eggs ready to hatch. Angie

margie
    Participant

Cheers Wings1 can’t wait for the morning to go over and have a look will let you know how many pillars I find as there are plenty of plants there.
    Cheers Margie

Hi, Sometimes they do, but often they will wander off. I have used before a cake pop up mesh placed over the plants to collect chrysilas and it also keeps off the larger wasps. Or if you are creative you can build a frame cover it in a very fine mesh to keep wasps out (some are only 2mm).
    Angie

I think the bottom pic might even have a egg on one of the spins! check for curled up leaves with black fuzzy catapillers!

margie
    Participant

Oh Norm this is so exciting I would love to get into rearing Admirals as well. I will have a look in the morning and see the rolled leaf. Will the pillar be okay out there as it is getting quite cold in the mirnings and at night. I will also try to collect the seed daily from now on.
    Do the pillars make their cacoon or chrystalis on the nettle as well.
    Cheers Margie

NormTwigge
    Participant

Hi Margie,

Urtica urens seed does not mature all at the same time. When ready the individual green husk opens and a straw coloured seed reveals itself. When ripe I tap the seed head and let the seeds fall into a container, but needs to be done on a daily basis to gather many. The other way is to let them fall and when they germinate pot up the seedlings. The nettle does not always transfer well, they can be deeply rooted with fine roots, so it pays to make sure there is plenty of soil around the roots if you do dig it. On the 3rd photo down, 2nd leaf down from the top an the right hand side, you will notice the leaf is curled under, which is a typical ‘tent that the Admiral caterpillars make – have a look, you may find one.
    Norm.

Terry
    Participant

I have commented for you under your Photos

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.