Pillars For Sale on Trade Me!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Charlotte
    Participant

Thank you so much Trisha. Glad our babbies are doing ok.

Just hope she joins up or perhaps I can give her some plants if she wishes to continue raising Monarch pillars.

All 3 of us did well. I am so proud ;-))
    Yes darn computers. But I have sussed now and can access from work. LMAO

Cheers
    Char

Anonymous
    Inactive

Trisha, many thanks for taking on those babies – a great outcome!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Update : the babies are here and happily chomping.

Robert – you were right – a case of running out of food to raise them and TM was the best way to for her to find a home. It worked!! It wasn’t about the $5.

The seller now knows about MBNZT and that we have members close to her, so hopefully she’ll join us.

Go Clair – for the action while I tissed about waiting for answers to questions.

Poor Char – she started it and couldn’t be involved until it was a done deal. Darned computers.

Nice piece of networking with a good outcome.

Best
    Trisha

Charlotte
    Participant

Wow you two rock!! Claire and Trisha I love you both ;-))LMAO.
    Now I’m home I can access the forum. Yipeeeeeee. Obviously everyone prefers the gossip huh Robert. heheheehehehe.
    I know when I read a Wellington buyer I thought OH MY GOD No!!! Then I found out it was Claire, I was so releived.

We need to really educate this lady on the pillars and not try to sell them on Trademe.

Robert I did a search on Trademe for MOnarch Butterfly items and came up with the auction. I was mortified at the auction and a WESTIE too!!.

Thanks A million guys and gals

Charlotte

Anonymous
    Inactive

Clair
    Can I suggest you make a new post about the declining Monarch numbers and the increase of Admirals?
    Could create some good discussion which won’t be found down in this discussion.
    Best
    Trisha

Anonymous
    Inactive

Poor Charlotte indeed! I can just guess her feeling when she read about a Welly buyer!

I’m sitting here in Wellington really worried about the small numbers of G3 butterfies – so much less than last year! I just have a feeling that we need to save as many G3s as we can, regardless of where they are in the country.

On a happier note, many Wellingtonians (including me) have noted the increased numbers of admirals (both colours) around this year. In fact, the people that know my interest in butterfies have “accused” me (unfortunately unjustly) of releasing them. None of these people (including me) have noticed an increase of nettle – if anybody knows anything about this, I would be really interested to hear from them.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, Robert, your last chocolate box produced five fine butterflies. The small ‘pillars went into the mix here and I lost track of their origin.
    Definitely need a bigger box for 20 fatties!
    Best
    T

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry Trisha,

I have no spare Chocolate boxes presently.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Poor Charlotte!!!
    She can’t log into the forum from work but she read on TM that a Wellington buyer had won the auction!!! Aaaagh – Pillars in the mail to Wellington – not nice.
    Not happy until she figured they are probably coming to her butterfly house after a wee car trip with me.

Clair – awesome, is what she said in an email. Thanks heaps from the Westie Aucklanders!!!
    Gotta love the MBNZT forum when it gets into action.
    Char will be on later tonight – just the day when she’s working late.

Best
    Trisha

Anonymous
    Inactive

Clair – emailed you my details.

Robert – yikes – not many even joining in the gossip!!! And poor Charlotte is now at work and missing it!!!!

Will tell all when I know whether I need a large or small chocolate box for the pick-up.

Best
    “Agent” Trisha
    Who needs to get back to work!!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Trisha, yes I did it. And yes, I do want you to go get them! I’ll email you with details shortly when TM comes through with all the sale details. Totally agree with you about not supporting this as a commercial venture – I looked up the sellers profile and concluded that she/he (pretty sure it’s a she) is a prolific user of TM but not a commercial user in any particular field. Also I figured that a commercial venture would indeed have thought through the wording of the sale in a much clearer way.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Trisha,
    Better hope there’s a discount for quanity 😛

Charlotte,
    Maybe the forum is that quite, just that people are waiting for gossip like this!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Patz – I hit the button. The sale was for $5 so I knew I couldn’t be dinged for any more. Could you please contact me (clair.macdonald@paradise.net.nz) and we will arrange for you to be to “agent”. ):

Anonymous
    Inactive

Robert – I will get an email alert if my question gets answered. And Chalotte’s question is visible too, now.
    Yep – I am logging in and out – or refreshing.
    Looks like Clair bought the one or twenty – we shall see. We’ll pick them up and adopt them for her if the buyer is “our” Clair.
    Of course if people want to pay, can’t help there!!! Clair’s is a rescue mission.
    Best
    Trisha

Anonymous
    Inactive

Trisha,

You will only see your question if your logged in, log out & you will see “There are 2 unanswered questions on this auction”.

I also read it as $5 for 20 as well, but it’s not as clear as it should be.

I agree with Clair that some people want to pay – Can’t help these people.

Robert.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Clair – looks like you have done it!
    Good for you.
    Email me Trisha@monarch.org.nz if you want us to pick up your one or 20 pillars.
    I would never support this if it is a commercial venture, but of course it is the opportunity to get close to the seller and explain!!!
    Let me know.
    Cheers
    Trisha

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes Clair – two of us (Flutterfbys and myself) are closeby and will do this if we can.
    It is about education, for sure.
    And I would hit Buy Now button right now if I were sure it was for all 20 – but I don’t want the $100 obligation if it is $5 each!! Yikes.
    No posting of pillars for me – I would pick them up only.
    I have asked the question and am waiting to hear the reply. Best
    Trisha

Anonymous
    Inactive

I totally agree that pillars shouldn’t be sold. However, I also think that many people just haven’t thought it through – after all we expect to pay for cats, dogs, etc. I have worked hard to get my local garden centres to keep the butterflies off their plants for sale. I was told that many people wanted plants with pillars on them, so I left my phone number with the garden centres to give to people who wanted pillars. This worked really well, but every single one of those people who turned up here for pillars wanted to pay me – some were quite insistent! It really is a matter of education.

Having read the TM post, I would say that it is $5 for the 20. My huge concern is that she is willing to post them, and that they may not survive that. If I hit the buy now button right now, is there anybody close who could go get them and raise them? (I’m in Wellington.) The rescuer would then have a great education opportunity.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Gill, I agree with Flutterbys too!!! In an ideal world that would happen. Finding a good home can be an issue.
    The seller is in our city and perhaps we can use this opportunity 🙂 to explain to all things Monarch and introduce her to MBNZT and the Flutterlys’ rescue haven?
    Explaining the fat pillars will not be weaving their chrysalides might be a start 🙂 !!
    Reality is, if this a commercial venture, it’s perfectly legal and not a darned thing we can do.
    Best
    Trisha

Gilly
    Participant

I agree with flutterbys.. she should be giving them away, to a good home 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, Robert, you are probably right.
    I’d happily give her $5 for all 20 and raise them here.
    Yes, it does say 2 unanswered questions on TM, but my actual question is showing and Char’s is not?
    I would think a lot of people (most?) with an excess of caterpillars wouldn’t know about the Trust or how to contact it. And not all members have an abundance of feed to accommodate rescues. Char’s place is Monarch heaven!!!
    Best
    Trisha

Anonymous
    Inactive

There are 2 unanswered questions on this auction (now).

If you have too many, probably selling shifts them quicker then giving them away (like most things in life).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Seems she is selling for the money – no suggestion of needing to remove them from her plant for rescue reasons.
    I have asked if it is $5 or for one $5 for the 20.
    She’s in Waitakere. I wouldn’t mind picking them and raising them to tag – but not for $100!!!!
    Can’t see the unanswered questions anymore.
    Trisha

Branson
    Participant

Relax – it’s just another product in a free market – & believe it or not there are folk with no pillars on their bushes – plus there’s no saying anyone will even bid anyway – as I’m finding out with my swan plants…..

Watch that space – if it worx cud be an idea for a fundraiser for the Trust next yr – u know I’m being facetious – but half serious as well……..

Anonymous
    Inactive

Charlotte,

Did you ask the unanswered question?

Hope the buyer isn’t south of the Bombays as the frost will probably kill them off.

How do you find these auctions anyway?

Robert.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.