Planting

• Creator
    Topic

Shirley
    Participant

I’m new to monarch butterfly watching and need all the help I can get. Right now I’m thinking of next year and want to know when the right time is to plant seed. I have the use of a great glass house so I want some really healthy big plants ready for my lovely butterfly family for next season. Any other advice would be gratefully received.
    Thanks,
    Shirley

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Rosemarie – have a chat with Denise who has plants for sale in Christchurch (see the Christchurch thread for her contact details). She has years of experience and will be able to help you with your ideas for next year.

Shirley
    Participant

Thank you for that. I have just had a look on trade me and there are quite a few people advertising. I will look up the Plant Place when I’m next in Hamilton.

Rosemarie
    Participant

In Hamilton there is a place called The plant place – Bruce is very helpful – he has plants for sale on trade me as well

Shirley
    Participant

I live in Te Awamutu which is in the Waikato.

Rosemarie
    Participant

What part of the country do you live?
    We are in Christchurch and plants can get frosted
    Does anyone know what grows best here?

Black Robin
    Participant

Both giant swan plant and the smaller variety grow well in my small glass house all year round ready to put out in the spring. I also grow some of the milkweed species year round as well in the glass house for monarch nectar in the Season. A couple of good varieties are available from the shop section at MBTNZ. Let me know through forum if you need any help with this , Good Luck.

Black Robin.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.