Swan plant needed, St Albans, Christchurch

• Creator
    Topic

Anonymous
    Inactive

There are 5 caterpillars that have eaten all of their swan plant leaves and my next door neighbour is happy for them just to starve to death and die!

I live in St. Albans in Christchurch. Is there anyone who can come and rescue them? They are approx. 2.5cm – 3.5cm long. I only just saw then about 30 min ago and there are no leaves left and that was when I spoke with my neighbour. I tried matching the photos of suitable plants with what is in our garden but no success, plus I don’t have any pumpkin. PLEASE CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP THESE LITTLE BABIES,

kindest regards

Beth

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

mere
    Participant

Hi All

The fantails are trying to catch the monarch buttiflies that are up in the tortured willow tree at my house in Opawa – they are not managing to get any that I have seen yet which is good – the butterflies fly away too quick for them, and then land somewhere else. It is amzing to watch.

mere
    Participant

Rangior Mitre 10 still have about 20-30 large swan plants left – they are two for $8.50 – nice plants.
    I am in Opawa and have monarch butterflies all in the tortured willow tree in my back yard – absolutely stunning there are just so many. Today with it being sunny they are gliding all over the back yard

Caryl

I don’t think it’s a good idea to re-home caterpillars in schools. I have heard of boys throwing caterpillars around in a decile 10 school here in Wellington and kindergartens are a concern too.

No child outside can be supervised 100% of the time.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Bev – unfortunately only 2 of the caterpillars survived as the others were found dead underneath the swan plant but another lady was able to rescue these 2 thank goodness. It was terrible to watch a creature stave to death 🙁

Bev Laing
    Participant

I have plenty of swan plants available.  If anyone has caterpillars and no swan plants, I would love to have them.  Please text your landline number to 021 2310853 and I will phone you.

I will phone Beth tomorrow.

Kind Regards, Bev

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Jacqui – schools don’t open until tomorrow but I have taken your advice and have just rung our local garden centres and they have popped my name down on their lists – apparently there are lots of unwanted and hungry caterpillars down here in ChCh 🙁

Jacqui

Beth another thought – you could contact the local primary school and see if anyone there would take them, and you could phone your nearest garden centre and tell them if anyone has been looking for caterpillars…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Jacqui – thank you so much for replying. I can be contacted on…

(03) 355-3558 or 022-365-2868.

I am home all day today and will also be checking my emails etc very often to see if anyone is able to help. Unfortunately I don’t have transport, so I am unable to deliver them,

kindest regards

Beth

Jacqui

Hello Beth – how would people get in touch with you? If you don’t clear your emails very frequently, you might like to leave a telephone number.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.