Press release out there re Pesticides

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

PRESS RELEASE

for immediate release

Pesticides affect more than what we think!

Once again the Monarch Butterfly New Zealand Trust is urging all butterfly gardeners to be careful when buying milkweed (swan plant) from garden centres.

“Every year it happens,” says Jacqui Knight, Secretary of the Monarch Butterfly New Zealand Trust. “People are desperately looking for food for their Monarch caterpillars, and end up buying plants affected with pesticide residue.”

“We hear from adults and children distraught to see their caterpillars dying,” she says. “People really enjoy their hobby and pets, and are saddened and angry when they have previously been told the plants they are buying are safe for caterpillars.”

One enthusiast lost over 100 butterflies because she was told the plants she bought were ‘pesticide-free’. Laboratory tests proved otherwise. Plants don’t have to be directly sprayed to be affected – spray can drift, condense and drop, or be windblown.

“I found out later it only takes one drop,” the enthusiast told members of the Trust. “My butterflies had severe damage to their nervous and endocrine systems.”

The Trust acknowledges that growers would find it difficult to sell plants covered with, or damaged by, caterpillars.

“But there are ways of growing plants so that they are safe for humans and other living things.”

“There is no need to use pesticides,” says Jacqui. “The growers should also inform garden centre staff honestly about any sprays used, and withholding periods.”

The Monarch Butterfly Trust is slowly teaching butterfly gardeners about the need to plan ahead.

“More and more people are planting earlier and making sure that they’ve got enough plants for the season. They’re protecting some of their plants so that Monarchs also lay elsewhere. And with management, the plants are lasting several years, so there are cost savings too.”

More information can be found on the website, https://www.monarch.org.nz or by email to trust@monarch.org.nz.

ENDS

282 words

Email: jacqui@monarch.org.nz or vicky@monarch.org.nz

Photographs: please contact Vicky Steele, 021 349 149

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Sounds fantastic, all those Admirals, Margie. One day I will come see for myself! Are they Red and Yellow, or just one variety?

I am delighted as I have raised about 12-13! I do hope that we can build up the numbers here so they rival those of your region, taht would be so wonderful.

Jacqui

margie
    Participant

No problem Jacqui will put it in the post. Yes thank you we are having a lovely new year, keeping the nettles up to the admirals is sure keeping us busy but we are having at least 15 to 20 releases per day every day but it is awesome watching them flying around the place happily laying eggs on the outside nettles.
    Take care and enjoy the holiday break.
    Cheers Margie

Jacqui

Gerat Margie – can you please cut it out and send it to me. Anytime you see anything to do with butterflies, it would be great if you could send it to us.

Hope you’re well and having a good new year?

Thanks very much.

margie
    Participant

Hi Jacqui,
    There was an article in the Timaru Herald Tuesday”s edition. Quite a large heading saying Monarch butterfly lovers urged to buy food plants carefully, it was quite good reading.
    Cheers Margie

Swansong
    Participant

Hi Jacqui,
    The 1st 2 links dont work for me, I get a time out. Last 3 OK though.

Swansong

Jacqui

Swansong
    Participant

Watched TV3 news tonite and nothing there.

Swansong

Jacqui

Hi Swansong – it was a press release sent out yesterday. So far we’ve heard it on Radio NZ news and Radio Live news, intervie on Radio Live, and it’s in the Herald and Dom Post I’m told, also on TV3’s news website so probably other places as well. Have had phone calls from various newspapers. If you see it published anywhere, would you let me know please (would love a clipping).

Cheers

Jacqui

Swansong
    Participant

Thats a very good article Jacqui. Is that to be on TV? It would be nice to know when.

Swansong

Jacqui

No, I watched TV3 tonight but nothing… but it is on their website and others.

There’s no way you can tell, really, Trisha, very frustrating. Until your caterpillars die… I’ve been making phone calls to growers and garden centres today, and strangely Kings Plant Barn had had several complains of dying caterpillars, but swear the plants had not been sprayed. ANd I know the grower and spoke with him too.

I say: wash them well and fingers crossed. But best still to grow your own and have enough at the beginnign of the season.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I bought some plants (Kings and Palmers)and hosed them dowm thoroughly several times times a day for several days (before butterflies came to my garden) and they seem fine.
    All the rest I have grown from seed in my NON presticide yard.
    I did ask staff at the garden centres if the plants had been sprayed and got the same answer – “I don’t think so”.
    Is there a a simple way newbies can be sure without complicated testing?
    The hosing down seems to have worked for me, but maybe they were OK to begin with.
    If my caterpillars are OK, can my butterflies still hatch damaged?
    Nothing on TV3 News so far.
    Best
    Trisha

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.