Pruning swan plants

• Creator
    Topic

Lorna Webb
    Participant

My school has a large swan plant – over two metres tall. When is the best time to cut it back? How low can a large plant be pruned?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Lorna Webb
    Participant

Thanks Jacqui – I plan to bring my sharp loppers to school and involve my class in the pruning exercise! Luckily I do have some swan plants growing at home so I can replace the large plant if it doesn’t cope with the pruning. I will be sure to check for a shoot to prune to.

Lorna

Lorna Webb
    Participant

Thank you for your advice. I will take action as soon as the weather clears.

TgaLiz
    Participant

Lorna if you are nervous, trim alternate branches back to just above a shoot as Jacqui suggests, then in a couple of weeks when you can see new growth coming away, trim the rest.
    Some fertiliser and water will help too. Good luck

Jacqui

Hello Lorna

This is my suggestion – to take a good hard look at the plants and trim off any scruffy branches, or dead wood. And it depends where you are too. I’m in Auckland and have trimmed back a lot of the taller branches as I knew the wind would have bowled some of mine over.

If the plant is a good specimen you can leave it as it is. One of mine was leaning over the driveway and so I trimmed off the branches so hopefully it will right itself and grow in the other direction. Also, trim it back to a shoot – I notice that I just hacked mine off and now a lot of the “wood” is dying back, so it would have been better probably if I’d been a bit more careful.

Jacqui

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.