Question for the gardeners

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

Why is it when you buy a packet of seeds, and the seeds all look the same, and yet a completely different plant grows from one seed. For instance, swan plants, and one plant is still a swan plant but the butterflies don’t lay on and the caterpillars won’t eat?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jane
    Participant

Yes it would pay to use cuttings. The resulting clones will eliminate many variables with the potential to corrupt your data.

Darren
    Participant

hmm, in that case if I get a chance to repeat my companion planting experiment I’d do better using cuttings rather than growing from seed. Good to know, thanks.

Jane
    Participant

Hi Darren,

I’m struggling to remember all my botany nowadays, but there are a number of ovules in an ovary and I think more than one pollen grain can enter and contribute genes. I’m not entirely sure on this now though, however I have defineately had variations from one seedpod.

Darren
    Participant

Jane would that still be true if the seeds were all from the same seedpod, and therefore presumably all from the same flower?

Or can a single flower be fertilised numerous times?

Jacqui

Fantastic Jane, thanks for that.

Jane
    Participant

Because seed has differing genetic inputs from both the male and female parent. Seed is therefore variable and unreliable for the production of clones (exact copies). Even if the seed is from the same parent plants, and they were isolated at pollination, there will still be differences, just as there are with human siblings from the same parent. The differences include variety in the chemical compounds and enzymes present within the plant. There may be two plants growing right next to each other from the same seed, but one will be more attractive to the butterflies or more tasty to the larvae.

Seed may also be gathered from differing locations and there will be differences depending on which plants were the contributors of the genes at that location.

I have grown swanplants from one packet of seed and had a huge diversity of results……..narrow leaves/borad leaves, long leaves/short leaves, tall plants/short squat plants, pale green/dark green leaves, mauve flowers/cream flowers…….all this makes for good genetic diversity, and if you are prepared to put in the extra work of isolating interesting crosses, it is possible to try to influence the results for a particular outcome!

In your example Jacqui, it probably tastes like S%*>!
    Perhaps that would be an interesting one to use in a breeding program…..there again perhaps not!

milkweed
    Participant

I can only think that a different seed got mixed in accidently and then germinated. If its definitely still a swan plant then maybe time will allow the butterflies to eventually use it.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.