Run out of food for caterpillars

• Creator
    Topic

SuD
    Participant

I have approx 12 caterpillars and all the swan plants have been striped bare. Most are nibbling the stems and look nealy big enough to make cocoons. I’m not really sure what to do tho as I don’t know if the end of stems will be enough for them. I’m in Christchurch. Can anyone advise me?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Lynne
    Participant

Hi Jacqui I brought them at Raeward Fresh in Marshlands Road -they were going to contact the grower/supplier and took my name and number but havn’t heard anything – they will be able to let you know the Growers/Suppliers name as it really isn’t their fault the grower should have been more careful with Swan Plants as they are a primary food for Monarchs -thanks Lynne

Jacqui

Lynne – could yo0u please contact me and tell me the name of the garden centre so we can talk with them about this? I would be grateful.

jacqui@monarch.org.nz

SuD
    Participant

Thanks for your great idea Lynne! What happened to to your caterpillars is so sad. You would think gardens centres would know better.

Lynne
    Participant

Hi there I was told if they are close to Crysalis stage pop them in a shoe box with lid on and they will attach to the inside lid and soon will be Crysalises – I havn’t tried it myself though -I had 25 Caterpillars at various stage mostly large and I ran out of food on Wed afternoon -I went to a Garden place and brought 3 tall plants and by this morning the Caterpillars were all dead the plants must have had poison sprayed on them -I was so upset and I went back and told them that they should wash the plants thoroughly or withdraw them from sale -they had sold quite a few since I bought mine so others may have this problem -it is devastating as I have nursed them through all the wet weather we have had and thought I had them on the home strait!! devastating as I love Butterflies. good luck with yours

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.