Salvia plants

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Charlotte
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

I would just like to share with everyone a really good place to purchase salvia plants.(Perennials Plus Ltd in Auckland)

We purchased the plants from Trade Me and were really expecting small plants or even cuttings, not bigger plants which arrived in a big box by courier for $4 I might add;-)

The plants were $6 each and well worth the money.

We managed to buy 2 x Salvia waverley shrub (mauve/white) and 2 x Indigo spires, 1 x Mexicana blue and 1 x Mexicana alba and 1 x Iodanthe.

We certainly cant wait for these plants to grow and flower in our gardens.

I’ve placed the link below for the person who sells them on Trade Me. Not sure if he has any left at present.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=192357

Cheers

Char

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Charlotte
    Participant

Thank you Jacqui;-)

I just WANT my big BUTTERFLY house;-))
    Do you HEAR this AL!! LOL.

Cheers
    Char

Jacqui

I hope you’ll be applying for certification this year, Charlotte. You’re a shining example of what’s good for our butterflies. Jane too. Your gardens are inspirations.

Charlotte
    Participant

I know it NO fun being GOOD;-)) TROUBLE will always find ME I know that. hee hee

Well it looks like I WONT have to DIG up the lawn. AL is going to do it for me;-)))
    Al showed me his plans for the back part of the garden anyway and it involves putting a few more raised gardens in and then putting down white stone. Oh I love it when he plans;-))
    At least this is 1/4 of the lawn gone.
    Now for the rest and what to plant??

Cheers
    Char

NormTwigge
    Participant

Dig up the lawn Char – then you will not have to spray for onehunga weed!

Jane
    Participant

It’s no fun being GOOD Charlotte! Anyway you NEED a lot more Salvias….DIG UP THE LAWN!!!!

Charlotte
    Participant

You are so BAD Jane!! Are you trying to get me killed? LOL

Cheers
    Char

Jane
    Participant

Char – If you do the planting for a while he’ll have a lot less lawns to mow!

I know what you mean about the boggy lawn too. Our lawn gets so boggy in places I almost need to row out to the washing line and take lifejackets and flares, and fill out a marine harbour trip intention form. We also have raised some beds, but there are still some that become semi-aquatic in winter.

Charlotte
    Participant

LOL Jane I am not allowed to plant this job is all Al’s;-)
    We’re slowly putting in gardens all around the lawn.
    Just some we need to raise a lot higher due to all of the rain.
    We have lost a few plants due to the boggy lawn;-(
    So we now need to be very careful where we plant for now.

Norm you’re right Al would love less lawn to mow;-) and we’re working on that. hee hee

Cheers
    Char

Jane
    Participant

Hi Misty,

There is a recent thread from about a week ago further down the list of threads entitled just ‘Salvia’. Have a look in there and you will find there are some recommendations : )

Salvias

Misty
    Participant

Thanks Kath for Marshwood link – great catalogue of salvias. They couldn’t advise which salvias best for butterflies. Can anyone tell me? Not grown before so looking for 4-5, long flowering in bright colours. We have no frost, sandy soil, salt air (Coromandel). Butterflies still laying. Have swans for cats but no echinacea or rudbekia left for butterflies. Nervous of Trade Me – never used it. Thanks – Misty

Jane
    Participant

True Norm. I operated on that philosophy here, and the perennial borders grew ever so slightly over the weeks, just a little at a time hoping Pete wouldn’t notice……but Pete reckons he likes mowing lawns!!! YIKES! Go really slowly Charlotte – slower than I did…….say 5cm a month, thats 60cm a year PERFECT….hopefully he’ll be none the wiser…(Don’t tell him I said that though) :/

NormTwigge
    Participant

I’m sure Al would go for that – just think, less lawn to mow !

Jane
    Participant

Hi Char,

Dig up the lawn!!! 😉

Charlotte
    Participant

Thanks Kath;-)
    I think you left the r out on the link.
    The address is http://www.marshwoodgardens.co.nz/
    I better not look Al would KILL me if I brought more plants.
    We’re running out of room to plant;-)

Cheers
    Char

KathWiddowson
    Participant

Adair Genge is the holder of the Saliva collection for the Herb Federation of NZ. Adair also has a mail order nursery with a large selection of Salvia’s and other cottage plants. Anything that grows at the bottom of NZ must be hardy. http://www.mashwoodgardens.co.nz . Kath Widdowson

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.