Seed germination

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

NevileChalke
    Participant

I have been trying to grow my own Swan plants from seed but am having trouble getting the seed to germinate. Am using seed raising mix and keep the pots damp. Seed was supplied by Jacqui so should be fresh. How long do the seeds take to germinate?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Hi Nevile

Give me a ring, 551 3383, I have some seedlings here you can have – about 12 inches tall.

NevileChalke
    Participant

Still not germinating and don’t want to spend money at Kings on new plants. Have scattered seeds all over the garden so perhaps some may come up. Snails got into the existing plants while we were away and they now look like palm trees i.e. all foliage right at the top and a bare trunk!

Darren
    Participant

According to the wonderful people at Kings Seeds, The optimum temperature for Gomphocarpus physocarpus germination is 21-24 degrees and it can take 20-30 days.
    http://www.kingsseeds.co.nz/shop/Flowers/Alpha+Search/Flowers+A+to+B/Asclepias+Swan+Plant.html

I pre-soak the seeds overnight, place them in jiffy-7 peat pots or cut up egg cartons with potting mix, pop them into a 2L ice-cream container (can’t afford Tupperware) and stick them in the back of my hot water cupboard.

Often I have given up and decided I have an infertile batch. I pop the container aside for cleaning and re-use later on when I get some spare time. But when I go to tip out the contents a couple of weeks later there they are, sprouting happily.

Interestingly the containers dry out a bit while they are waiting for me to tip them out. I often wonder if I make them too damp initially, but I haven’t tested that hypothesis.

milkweed
    Participant

the best and most effective way of germinating seeds in my experience is to put them into a small plastic tupperware? container with a lid, into the hot water cupboard along with very moistened flattened out double sided toilet paper. keep moist at all times by checking everyday. then gently plant them out as they sprout into moistened potting mix in containers (don’t plant deep) before they are big enough to plant out proper.

Jacqui

Please send us your mail address(es) to trust@monarch.org.nz, and we’ll send you replacement seeds free of charge.

Personally, I think the less “special” you treat them the better, but perhaps that’s just my thoughts. Does anyone else have any ideas? Feel free to contribute.

Jacqui

medusa
    Participant

Hi Jacqui, I too had a total failure with my first efforts trying to get the seeds you sent me to germinate. I was trying to do them in pots as I don’t want them growing in the garden proper.
    I’ll go back and try again as my first ‘crop’ of catties are voracious, I’d swear they weren’t so bad last season!

carols

It seems to be quite normal for swan plant & giant swan plant seeds to take up to 3 weeks to germinate.

Jacqui

PS – when I have planted seeds I just sprinkle them on top of the soil, and cover them with a light covering of soil. Keep them moist and don’t fuss over them and if they’re going to come up, they do. Remember they’re basically a weed, so they should germinate without too much special treatment.

What do others do?

Jacqui

Hello Nevile

We seem to get this inquiry from time to time – and usually shortly afterwards we’re told “oh, as soon as I asked, I discovered some seedlings”. 🙂 It seems like they sprout up as soon as you stop watching them. A bit like the caterpillar turning into a chrysalis – you can sit there and watch for hours and then as soon as you go to answer the telephone (or whatever) the caterpillar becomes a chrysalis.

Do let us know if they don’t sprout shortly and we’ll give you some more, or even some seedlings perhaps if we have too many and depending on where you are.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.