Seed pods…what do I do with them?

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Alison
    Participant

Gosh, I thought I was doing well at close to 75 – are you tagging them? We have a local park here in Pukekohe that has planted quite a few swan plants. Took the kids to play there over the weekend and brought home about 20 very large cats – most have pupated now. Managed to sneak up on 2 monarchs and tag them. There are heaps of cats in various stages at the park and the swan plants are covered in seed pods. Brought a couple of the pods back home as well but unsure how to harvest the seeds – do I just open them up and if so do I dry them – have absolutely no idea.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Here’s some great information on collecting milkweed seeds.

http://www.mymonarchguide.com/2007/07/what-is-seed-pod-how-can-i-collect.html

Swansong
    Participant

“In the same way people shouldn’t really refer to politicions as T E F L O N coated, instead they are actually polytetrafluoroethylene coated. Dosn’t have quite the same ring to it though.”

Darren I like it…. and blow it since Im a stickler for things that have the ring of truth. :-), we can always say something in good ol plain English which cant be copyrighted like “Liars that are so well trained in deviating and side winding off the point that if you can get a straight answer about anything anywhere at any time, count yourself VERY fortunate.”

Swansong

Darren
    Participant

Oy vey, thanks for fixing the posting for me Jacqui. I’d better edit the pdf file as well.

If a trademark can be shown to be commonly used as a generic term then the tradmemark can be challenged. So what I *inadvertantly* did was not endorse their product so much as undermine the strength of their trademark. (Nevermind that the term used to refer to muskets).

In the same way people shouldn’t really refer to politicions as T E F L O N coated, instead they are actually polytetrafluoroethylene coated. Dosn’t have quite the same ring to it though.

Swansong
    Participant

Ooo Jacqui youre too soft. ;-). Of interest is how dumb things are getting. Bureaucracy gone mad. Pathetic. Like Jane says youde think they’d be pleased.

Hey Jennifer. Interesting post. Ive always wondered about stratification and exactly what was recommended for SP seeds. I will say though, that Im sure it would still be better practice to let seeds mature to their fullest in the pod. Sure these ones of yours might turn out OK, but they will still be to some degree inferior somewhere along the line, whether it be longevity or resistance to disease or whatever. Just a thought….but very interesting experience. Glad you posted it.
    Cheers
    Swansong

Jane
    Participant

Well well how very odd! I would have thought they would have been pleased to have their brand name being used in general conversation and in particular, being recommended as was the case here – J

Jacqui

An interesting comment on this post: Today we received a letter from A J Park who are lawyers/patent attorneys and act for Clorox NZ Ltd, owners of the SNAP LOCK (R) trademark. They have asked us to remove reference to the use of “SNAP LOCK” which is a registered trademark, where we had used it as a generic name for resealable bags. SNAP LOCK (R) is a brand name and protected.

I have corrected the information in one of the above posts. I have personally had correspondence from A J Park before when I used the brand name of SELLOTAPE (R) as a generic name for adhesive tape.

I am sure we all do it from time to time and don’t realise we are breaching copyright. What brand names do you use when you really mean a generic name? I won’t use them here but here are two common examples:
    “Have you “vacuumed” today?” or “Please “photocopy” this document for me”.

Interesting eh?

Jacqui

Jacqui

No that’s fine, Wendy. They should be fine. Yes plase mail them off to me, C/- MBNZT, NZ Post, Russell 0242.

thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve been collecting seeds for quite a while to send to he Trust, but wonderiung if it will bew any use. They have been in an open icecvreanm container on my bench top for sewveral weeks – I guess they should have been in the fridge? Will I send them off and where to as I have lost Jacqui’s address.

Ta

Jacqui

Wow, Jennifer that’s amazing! You sure have been having some wintry weather down there. Brrr.

YvonneWallis
    Participant

Hi Jennifer,
    Wow, mother nature aye? Can’t beat it – will look forward to hearing how healthy the plants turn out. I have lots of swans on the larger giant swan plant which haven’t opened and have just left them there waiting patiently. your method would be great if the plants are successful.

Jennifer
    Participant

Nature is an unpredictable thing. I had cut some immature swans off some stems I was bringing inside about a month ago or more and just left then in a corner of my vegie patch where they get a lot of sun, during this last horrible week of wet cold weather here in Dunedin some had burst open but because of the wet the fluff had not been able to expand. These tiny seeds, that normally would have been discarded as too undeveloped, have germinated in the pod and I have hundreds of little plants! So all the other threads about germination being better in spring and needing nice swollen seed with good germ plasm development and even bottom heat may need to be rewritten! They didnt even get a period of cold stratification because it had been warm here until they germinated, all they got was a very, very, very, good soaking.
    I will let you know how strongtly the plants grow in due course

Jennifer
    Participant

‘Tis Darren thanks

Darren
    Participant

Sorry about that, it should be fixed now.

Jennifer
    Participant

Darren, I tried this link today and it didnt get me anywhere. Does it work for you?

—————————-
    this might help
    http://users.actrix.co.nz/dgedye/Butterflies/Collecting%20your%20own%20swan%20plant%20seeds.pdf

Darren
    Participant

Yvonne if you can get the seeds out of the pod without removing the pod from the plant then go for it! Personally I go round with a bucket and snip through the pod’s stalk where it bends in an elbow. I find I get the cleanest cut there. That way I can remove the pods during daylight and process the seeds once the kids have gone to bed and I have a bit of time. One mistake I somtimes make is leaving the bucket for a couple of days before i process it. Even though I harvest the pod just as it cracks open and the silk is damp and compressed, after a couple of days in the bucket the silk dries out and I end up covered in it!

YvonneWallis
    Participant

Hi Meryl. I though I fluked it when i got some growing by clippings. I just put the tops i had cut off for transporting from friends place in water and then when I had transferred caterpillars to plant stuck them in the ground. Some success but not all,I will have to leave them to root next time, thanks for that.

Re the swan plant seed gathering – Is it best to leave the pod on the plants and just take the seed as the plant bleeds when you take it off and thought in nature the pod would stay on and may die back and give nutrition to the plant??

MaryL
    Participant

Hi Yvonne, I haven’t yet grown any plants with seed I have grown mine by cuttings put in water until they root then I pot them up it has been very successful. With all the great advice being given on the seed I am going to try just to know I can grow them that way too.

Darren
    Participant

Its a great way of getting an early start to the season, but the earlier you try and start the more labour intensive it is. I have two A.incarnata on the go right now. During the day they sit on my kitchen windows sill, at night they go on top of my antique chest freezer in the garage which radiates a surprising amount of heat. But I'm mostly doing it out of curiosity, not because I think it's a good idea! 😉

this might be helpful
    http://users.actrix.co.nz/dgedye/Butterflies/germinate.html

YvonneWallis
    Participant

Thanks for that DarrenG – So would it be worth or possible to try and start some in the warmth in front of a window over the colder months, maybe after refrigeration??
    Cheers Yvonne

Charlotte
    Participant

We also find having a heating pad under the seed raising trays helps them as well;-)

Not to badly priced at the Switched on Gardner. He has various sizes as well.
    http://sog.open24x7.biz/catalog/index.php?cPath=14&osCsid=59cb8c77252dbdbc492e351745ad62cc

Cheers
    Char

Nic
    Participant

Alison, where are you? I'm in Pukekohe also. I have 3 very large plants and dozens and dozens of caterpillars at the moment.

Nic

Darren
    Participant

To germinate seeds need warmth, moisture, air, and in some cases light.

So the logical way to store them is cool, dry, airless and dark. I find wrapping in a paper towel, zipping in a resealable bag and refrigerating works good.

Also some seeds need a period of cold before they will germinate. This is to stop them accidentally germinating before the winter hits. Storing in the fridge does this as well.

So store your seeds until early spring Yvonne, then germinate them somewhere warm like on top of a fridge, and plant out once the frosts are past.

YvonneWallis
    Participant

Always wondered if there was an optimum time after getting the seeds, to plant them. I have tried putting them in the sun in front of a window for about a week then storing in a jar in shade until spring when I plant but don't know if this is the best method. Also would they germinate before this inside?

Alison
    Participant

Thanks for the info. I did pick the pods up off the ground so they may not be any good.

Darren
    Participant
Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.