Seeds of Snail Vine.

• Creator
    Topic

clinton9
    Participant

Hi members,
    I am getting free seeds of Snail Vine, from MBNZT.

But I do not know how to get them to germinate…

Do they need heat in my hothouse, for seeds to germinate ???

Which soils to grow Snail Vine ??? loam ? sandy ? both ?

Is Snail Vine a subtropical/tropical plant ??? a temperate-climate plant ???

Can you please help ???

thanks

clinton9.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

clinton9
    Participant

hey hshingles,
    plant hardiness zones in http://www.liddlewonder.co.nz were not correct, as people did not researched about the weather, climate, numbers of frosts per year, temperature.

My subtropical plants that are for zone 10, had grew well outdoor and had flowered for me in Thames.
    All my heliconias were growing very well in my place in Thames.
    My heliconia lingulata & h.latispatha grew very well outdoor and did not died during wintertime. Lowest nightime temperature in Thames, is -1oc for 1-3 night on July, and very rare for it to drop to -3oc.
    I had seaval cultivars of edible banana plants that are doing very well growing outdoor in my backyard gardens.

clinton9

hshingles
    Participant

http://www.liddlewonder.co.nz/zones.php

A hardiness zone for NZ

clinton9
    Participant

Thankyou, Lynn,
    But I had problem…I do not know which plant hardiness zones 9b, 9a, 10b, 10a, 11 for Thames, Auckland, Whangarei, Kaitaia and Kerikeri.

I thought about this

Thames zone 10b or 9a ???
    Coromandel zone 10b ???
    Auckland zone 10a or 11 ???
    Whangarei zone 11 ???
    Kerikeri zone 11 ???

I will be give my heliconia rostrata a try, by plant them outdoor in my backyard garden.

I appreciate your help in plant hardiness zones in northern North Island (Thames to Kaitaia).

Cheers

Clinton.

Lynn
    Participant

Snail vine (Vigna Caracalla) is a legume of many names, including corkscrew vine, Bertoni bean, corkscrew flower and twisted-flowered kidney-bean. This climbing vine grows 15 to 20 feet tall, but can be kept smaller in pots indoors. Grow snail vines from seed and plant them outdoors in full sun, or grow on a sunny porch or in the greenhouse. Snail vine is hardy in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 9 through 11.

A good seed starting mix is sterile, provides good support, retains some moisture and drains well. Garden centers and nurseries sell pre-mixed seed starting formulas ideal for planting snail vine seeds indoors. You also can make a home made mix consisting of four parts compost to one parts each of perlite, vermiculite and peat moss. Whether you are using a commercial or home made seed starting mix, it’s important to dampen the material thoroughly before adding it to the seed starting pots or it will be difficult to saturate thoroughly.

When selecting pots for starting snail vine seeds, look for ones at least 4-inches around with drainage holes in the bottom. If you are using old pots, clean them thoroughly with soap and water, and rinse with a one part bleach, nine part water solution. Snail vine seeds should be planted 1 inch deep in the center of the pot and covered with the soil mix. A consistent temperature between 70 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit is optimal for germination and early seedling growth. Seeds require consistent moisture to germinate.

Start snail vine seeds indoors in late winter for early spring planting. In areas that experience winter frosts, plan to start seeds six to eight weeks before the last frost date. By the time the warm weather arrives, the seedlings will be ready to go in the ground. In frost-free areas of the region, start snail vine seeds in mid winter for an early spring planting date. Snail vine seeds take anywhere from five to 15 days to germinate and another three to four weeks to mature for planting.

For a simpler way to plant snail vine seeds, skip the indoor pots and soil mixes and plant directly into the soil. A spot in the garden that gets full sun and has deep, loamy soil is ideal. Spring, after any frosts have passed, is the ideal time to plant. As in pots, the seeds should be planted 1 inch deep in the garden bed and covered with soil. Consistent moisture is critical during germination, so remember to water daily in hot weather or whenever the top of the soil starts to feel dry.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/snail-vine-seed-planting-instructions-48436.html

central and southern Florida lie in USDA zones 9-11.

http://landscaping.about.com/cs/lazylandscaping/g/zone.htm

The USDA hardiness Zone 9 can be found in the southernmost continental states.
    Hardiness Zone 9 areas may occasionally experience freezing conditions with the coldest winter temperatures between 20 and 25 degrees Fahrenheit in Zone 9a and 25 to 30 degrees Fahrenheit in Zone 9b. From a grower’s perspective, Zone 9 areas are considered to have mild winters and long growing seasons. Areas in hardiness Zone 9 may have high or low humidity depending on location and microclimate factors. For example, Central Florida has high humidity fed by moisture from the Gulf of Mexico, while Arizona and California have relatively humidity.

http://www.ask.com/explore/all-about-usda-hardiness-zone-9

Zone 11 of the USDA Hardiness Zone map represents areas where the average annual minimum temperature is above 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Because Zone 11 does not have freezing temperatures, tropical plants with stunning flowers and feathery leaves thrive with minimal care if given sufficient moisture and good soil.

http://www.ask.com/explore/all-about-usda-hardiness-zone-11

That should work for you, Clinton, in the Coromandel.

Errol
    Participant

I just Googled it and came up with this from Wikipedia –
    “Vigna caracalla is a leguminous vine from the family Fabaceae, originating in tropical South America and Central America. The species is named caracalla, a corruption of the Portuguese caracol, meaning snail.[1][2] This perennial[3] vine (when grown in a climate without frost) has fragrant flowers said to be reminiscent of hyacinths – with a distinctive curled shape, giving rise to the common names corkscrew vine, snail vine, snail creeper, or snail bean.
    This vine is hardy in zones 9 and above, liking full sun and consistently damp soil. It prefers high heat and humidity. In colder zones, it does well in a pot if it is overwintered inside..”.

I knew next to nothing about it myself, so hope this helps people. Good luck.

milkweed
    Participant

Clinton, what is the latin name of snail vine?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.