Silk-Worms in New Zealand still?

• Creator
    Topic

Jane
    Participant

I was asked tonight if there were still silk worms in New Zealand and I didn’t know.

The lady asking remembers having silk-worms as a child and unravelling the silk to make bookmarks etc., To her this was nothing unusual, but as the years have gone by, she now realises that it was not so common a thing as first thought.

Can anyone tell us if there are still silk-worms in New Zealand?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Antherina
    Participant

I have some eggs in the fridge which I could send for the cost of postage and packing. They eat a lot of mulberry, and will not eat anything else. Black or white versions are equally good (any Morus sp.).

sarahdodds
    Participant

Does anyone still have silkworms available?

Jacqui

Great article about silkworms coming up in the next magazine (Summer). Make sure you’re a financial member and don’t miss out! Lots of tips for beginners.

Antherina
    Participant

I can supply small numbers of eggs that will hatch in a couple of weeks of warmth.They are in my fridge at the moment. Email me on a.darby@bdsc.school.nz Just need cost of postage/packing. Remember they will only eat mulberry leaves, any species of Morus (black or white mulberry) will do, in spite of what the ‘experts’ say.

RudiR
    Participant

would gladly pay for the delivery =)

RudiR
    Participant

hi antherina, is there a possibility that I could get some sometime?

Antherina
    Participant

Yes. I have eggs that will hatch next spring.

RudiR
    Participant

hi Jaqui, my name is Rudi, I’m originally from south Africa and had silk worms when I was young, pretty cool insects, is there any news on anyone having silk worm eggs , I’m thinking of getting into contact with those who do, to relive childhood memories is part of the reason plus I want to see if I can be of any assistance in helping out with info.

RudiR
    Participant

hi do you still have any silkworm eggs?

Jacqui

Here is a great page with more info. about raising silk worms. Thanks Anthony Darby.

http://www.wwb.co.uk/silkworm-eggs-colourful-cocoons-and-unusual-larvae

kchen9966
    Participant

someone have ” silkworm ,or egg ” for sale .I have heap of the mulberry tree in my back yard .

Antherina
    Participant

There is only one species associated with the term “silk worm” and that is Bombyx mori. The family Saturnidae are also referred to as “silk moths”, but the only species found in New Zealand is the Australian Emperor gum moth (Opodiphthera eucalypti). Their caterpillars, which are NOT called silk worms, feed on Eucalyptus and Liquidambar leaves. Another silk moth, the Chinese species Samia cynthia, was supposed to breed on the Ailanthus trees in and around Albert Park, Auckland, having escaped from Auckland University. This species was tried as an alternative source of silk (Eri silk – although the eri silk moth is the Indian form) to Bombyx mori, a hundred or so years ago. The silk cannot be unravelled as it is in short lengths, but “carded”. The venture failed in places like Paris, Rome and New York, and the moths released. They may still exist as wild populations?

Antherina
    Participant

See below.

BjornM
    Participant

what species of ”silk worm” are we talking about here? does anyone have some photos to share?

whstler
    Participant

Yes, please share information here. I also plan to place a few silkworms on my mulberry tree next year. It is presently just under two metres tall, and I’m not sure it would appreciate being devastated (like my swan plants are being) this early in its life. But next year, yes.

I would very much enjoy learning whatever more you have to share about raising them. Thank you, Antherina and everyone.

Jacqui

Can I suggest you have the hang out in the forum here so that others can reap the benefits of your conversation in future years?

CraigH
    Participant

Hi Antherina,

Thanks heaps for your generous offer, it would be greatly appreciated.
    I’m not looking at kicking this off till next year, when I can commit to being available for their entire life cycle. So if you were able to hang onto them until then that would be great, if not let me know and ill sort something.

If possible I’d also be really interested in having a chat on google hangouts or similar, to hear about your experiences raising them. Being able to compare first-hand experience to what I’ve read online would be a great help.

Thanks again.
    Cheers,
    Craig

Antherina
    Participant

I have some eggs in the fridge which I can send to you Craig. They breed them at the reptile park on the North Shore and use them for reptile food.

CraigH
    Participant

Good Afternoon,

I’m interested starting a small silkworm colony early next year. I would be really keen to have a chat with anyone who has experience raising silkworms in New Zealand that wouldn’t mind sharing their expertise and tips with a complete beginner.

If you have eggs that you wouldn’t mind donating or selling to a good home, or have time for a chat please get in touch.

Antherina
    Participant

I have just taken some silkworm eggs out of the fridge. Mulberry trees are extremely hardy, especially the black mulberry (Morus nigra). I grew it and M. alba in Scotland where temperatures can get down below -10C. I live in Auckland and will need to buy some more trees.

Jacqui

This article might be beneficial (don’t have time to read it now…)

http://www.permaculturevisions.com/silkworms.htm

quilter
    Participant

Specially planted a Mulberry tree so I could get some silk worms. It has grown really well with lots of leaves and fruit at the moment. So if anyone has some worms to spare I would love to give them a good home. I live in Auckland and travel through Coromandel every two weeks. Had spoken to the lady in Coromandel a few years ago but at the time did not have a tree.
    Thanks
    quilter

Anna
    Participant

I have fertile Silkworm eggs but you need to have access to mulberry bushes to successfully raise them. The leaves can be collected and kept in the fridge for several days and the silkworms still do alright.
    I tried just hatched silkworms on the beetroot/dandelion leaves without success nel.magriet:(

nel.magriet
    Participant

Hi Anna
    If you want to, try again next time. But not with worms that is already eating other leaves. Try with a few worms that have just hatched (and that have not eaten something else yet.) Also I think, don’t mix the dandelion leaves with the beetroot leaves, but try a few worms on each, keeping them separate.

I’m still looking for eggs. Do you perhaps know, where I can find eggs?

Anna
    Participant

Clinton…I am in the Nelson/tasman area.

Nel.magriet ….I have tried the Silkworms on beetroot and dandelion leaves but they refused to eat them even though they had a good look around each leaf. They are now back on mulberry leaves.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.