Silkworms

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

Is there anyone out there who has raised silkworms (Bombyx mori) – or is interested in raising them?

Would be possible to get some eggs – but you need a lot of mulberry leaves. I bought a mulberry tree just a few weeks away, so am very excited about this possibility. It will take a while before it’s big enough, of course.

Here’s a good resource – but the artificial food is not available here.
    http://www.suekayton.com/Silkworms/raising.

(These notes are for the northern hemisphere, so you will have to add six months to adjust).

Anyway – please share your knowledge and experience here – or get in touch if you could be interested. Email is best, jacqui at monarch dot org dot nz

Jacqui

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies

RudiR
    Participant

Hi would love to chat about silkworms we started a small business on fb raising and selling silkworms our page is called Beyond the mulberry tree -silkworms

sarahdodds
    Participant

Alet
    Participant

Hi,

I am very interested in silkworms and even though i am not ready to have some at present, I would like to find out how I can obtain some. I used to have silkworms as a child and would take them through their whole cycle year after year.

I will be great hearing where I can find some.

Alet

RudiR
    Participant

theres sikworms in nz, very few left but it is possible to find them, the prefered food for silkworms are the white mulberry, but only variety found here are red mulberies, black mulberies and the weeping mulberries, the weeping mulberry is the best option as it is a white mulberry variety that doesnt spread by seed(white mulberries can be very invasive) ,you can import silkworms but they cost alot and i mean alot, just for the permit alone will cost you 220$ for the documentation to be processed and if it takes longer than a hour and a half, they will chrge you an extra 117$ every hour afterwards. you will have to prove that they are not geneticly modified, best options to do is to buy them as eggs and from australia thats if you want them realy bad and are willing to go thru the whole process.

Anna
    Participant

Josh652…are you in NZ?
    I am lucky enough to have 14 tiny silkworms that are 4 days old. I am hoping to build up a supply of them to share, but its early days yet. Very exciting though…I can’t wait to learn all about them. You-tube has been a great help so far.

Number 14 came out of the egg backwards! …so I have kept her/him separate from the others so I can keep a close eye out as it obviously likes to be different from the rest:)

I’ve already learnt that there are different mulberry trees, and some are favoured more by the worms than others.
    My babies are munching happily on the young leaves of a mulberry called “Morus Apricot Shahtoot – King White” that I got from our local Mitre 10. (well I bought three actually!) The old tree we have in the orchard has long lost its label, but I think it must be one they like, as I have tried them on the leaves of that, and they accept it.

Josh652
    Participant

I have a huge mulberry tree in my backyard and my silkmoths only emerged a few days ago and now I have hundreds of eggs!!! I will refrigerate them until I need them. My mulberry tree took a very long time to get established but after a few years it grows like crazy

Bernie
    Participant

Yes I too have heard that you can feed silkworms(bombyx mori?) on lettuce but I only ever reared them on mulberry.I suppose that as GB has a history of plundering the world,our importation laws are not as strict as yours but in my previous house,I bought and grew a tree of heaven.It took several years to grow much (I think it is still there) and was very useful for feeding several different species of silkmoths.I don’t recall it having a bad smell and didn’t find it any problem at all.

Jacqui

Hello Clinton

Anna hasn’t imported them.

You are probably right that MPI (the new name for MAF) would not allow them to be imported.

Silkworms have been here in NZ for many years – if you look at some of the older discussions here in the forum – we thought they had died out but I managed to track down someone who was still breeding them.

There was a school near Whangarei where the pupils used to raise them.

On another note, I received an email from an overseas lepidopterist today that said you could feed silkworms on lettuce as well! Worth a try if you run out of mulberry leaves, I guess.

Anna, I will be in touch when they’re available, you’ll be welcome to some – as will anyone else who is interested and has mulberry bushes/trees.

clinton9
    Participant

Hi Anna,
    You managed to import these silkworms to NZ ???

Are these silkworms readly been in NZ ???

I thought MAF don’t allow importation of silkworms to NZ.

You need to buy Mulberry bushes for caterpillars of silkworm.
    Mulberry bush are likely the temperate-climate bushes.

Anna
    Participant

What an interesting post this is Jacqui.
    we have an old mulberry bush in our home orchard…quite neglected but with new spring growth, so it would have plenty of food for caterpillars. I’d love to have a go at raising silk worms!

Jacqui

It took us a long time to find them, Clinton, but I can assure you that there are silkworms in NZ.

clinton9
    Participant

There are no silkworms in NZ as I had never heard about silkworms in NZ.

Jacqui

Wow, just had to look this tree up (Tree of Heaven) and don’t think I want it, thanks!

http://www.boprc.govt.nz/environment/pests/pest-plants-and-weeds/weed-index/trees/tree-of-heaven,-chinese-sumac-and-stinking-sumac/

Don’t know if it’s a problem in other parts of NZ…

Chrisalis
    Participant

I have a couple of tree of heaven seedlings, but it might be a few years before they’re big enough 🙂

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.