Slugs & Snails

Tagged: ,

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

My Swan plants and other milkweed are just starting to grow over the winter, but slugs and snails are knocking them back. The only control I’ve ever found to work (besides the poison you can buy) is a saucer of beer – the snails and slugs get drunk and drown in it. Has anyone tried that or got any other tips? I have my plants surrounded by wood chip mulch, so that doesn’t seem to be working.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Thanks for that Vicky – I will try and find it when I’m down at JUST GARDENING at Kumeu.

monica
    Participant

Thanks for that Vicky, I’ll have a look for it at the JUST GARDENING show next weekend (Kumeu).

Anonymous
    Inactive

LOL! Does sound like a Canterbury beer, doesn’t it! It comes in a green and blue box, with a wee picture of a Tui on it and Quash in big yellow letters. I usually get mine from Oderings, $7-95. I think it normally sits with the pesticides, so you may not have noticed it before. It’s in pellet form, so easy to springkle around your plants. There’s NO WAY I’d have tried it if I thought it would harm anything else – not when I own a cat who likes to eat gingernuts.

Jacqui

Where do you get “Tui Quash” from? Or is this a joke? It sounds like the sort of beer they’d drink down Canterbury. LOL.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What would happen if you put the “drowned in beer” ones in the middle of the drive – drunk blackbirds?! Slugs and snails don’t touch my swanplants, although they love my other spring growth. I NEVER use poisons but I’ve used Tui Quash the last couple of years, with great success. It’s an all-natural product which has a taste deterrent in it to put off pets and wildlife (oh, and children!). My new flowers are just stalks unless I use it.

Gilly
    Participant

I just pick them off, put in the middle of the drive and the blackbirds have a great feast 🙂 🙂

Myra
    Participant

Jackie, I bring my tropical and swan milkweed inside in pots for the winter cos otherwise the slugs strip em bare and they die or they die from the cold anyway.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.