Snow in Christchurch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Yes, I agree Kate, I would let them go in a sheltered position of the garden where they can fly away and find some shelter.

Pepetuna
    Participant

What a wonderful story Cecilia. The butterflies in Christchurch seem to be as resilient as the people! Survive earthquakes and snow stoically, and just get on with it.

As to what to do now, I would wait for a sunny day and release them. What do others think?

Edith
    Participant

In the Mexican mountains, where most of the US and Canada Monarchs overwinter, it is normal for some to be on the ground and covered in frost in the morning and when they warm up, they fly back up to the trees.

What a wonderful experience, Cecilia!

~Edith

PAZ
    Participant

Yesterday I found 7 Monarchs in Bradford park Christchurch .
    They appeared dead to me and were embedded in the snow below the trees .
    I collected them & took them home as I wanted to share them with the family .
    When the kids came back home , they placed them in theirs hands and softly blew
    warm air at them , and ever so slowly they started to make very small movements .
    They had not moved for the 4 hours prior to them returning .
    Is this usual ? are Monarchs this resilient to harsh climate changes ?
    They are looking stronger today and we are feeding them honey/water ,Any ideas as to what we do next ? none of them have a tag. Many thanks , Cecilia

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.