spare nettles please? Admiral babies to feed

• Creator
    Topic

Rebecca
    Participant

Would any Christchurch people have nettle seedlings/sturdy plants they can spare? I’ve just taken my two inside with a few Admiral cats on board but don’t think there’ll be enough (first time with admirals, not sure how hungry they get).

I’m in Woolston – I’ll be going to Butterfly Day at Bromley this Sunday (27th) or I would come to you. I have about 20 pots plus potting mix ready to go…

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rebecca
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve potted another 6 small plants this morning (rinsed first) and I’ll definitely soak any cuttings I bring inside. I’ve just been checking the ones indoors, tweezering aphids off the stems (yes I’m obsessive) – no spiders.

I’ll definitely need more plants. I’ve counted on the two plants at least one 20mm caterpillar, ten 10mm, maybe 3 or 4 smaller and I think there could still be a few more eggs.

Errol
    Participant

Might be an idea to wash the nettle cuttings under the tap with cold water. To remove any nasties that may be lurking in the leaves – such as tiny spiderlings. Perhaps even leave the cuttings soaking under water for an hour or two?

Good luck.

Rebecca
    Participant

Thanks, I’ll try that, I’ve got some tiny plants sprouting down near my fence.

Mik
    Participant

I am growing admirals in a caterpillar castle, I started of with nettles in pots but found that if I cut nettle stems they keep fresh for 4-5 days in a jar of water – need a good pair of rubber gloves!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.