Spring in the UK

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Terry
    Participant

Hi all

Here in the UK spring is finally upon us with the first reasonable weather for Butterflies. My Vanessa Iteas (Yellow Admiral)are very active in the Butterfly House with about 200 flying, nectaring, mating and much egg laying. The small larvae have even found their way out through the base and have colonised the Urtica Dioica (Stinging Nettles) growing around the outside, only on the south side so far as the weather is still a bit on the cool side although much improved from last week. I will collect the larvae from outside when they are large enough and rear them in boxes for release back into the Butterfly House.

The first spring natives have been on the wing outside and I have seen a few Brimstones, Holly Blues, Green Veined white, a Female Orange Tip, a Small Tortoiseshell, a few Peacocks, and speckled woods. click link to see what they look like. and our other species that can be found in certain places and at certain times of the year.

http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/butterfly_identifier/17/identify_a_butterfly.html?s=13&e=24&Country=&Size=&Colour1=&Colour2=&Features=&Family=

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Gilly
    Participant

You certainly have some pretty butterflies Terry. Enjoy your spring! 🙂

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.