"Stock" Boom but "Plant" Crisis has me in tears (again)

• Creator
    Topic

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Well it’s early in the season but I have about 100 pupas and Js here in Kapiti.
    Some kind members of the forum have also adopted some caterpillars as well.
    A Karori member took nearly 30, and she advises they are doing well; which is a blessing and I thank her.

However my 1500 plants are now chewed down or still recovering from from winter with little leaf now. I will need to euthanise the remaining dozens and dozens of small catz.
    I loathe this and has me in tears but if I dont care for the plants then there will be no food when these pupating Monarches emerge and mate and lay their eggs.

Sigh. It doesnt get easier does it? Jacqui you are truly positive and an imspiration and that helps.
    The forum memmers are also so supportive and I value all your posts and support.

So I’m off to have a sad time in my garden, and Ive decided to leave all alone until tomorrow. But this gives me time for a final shout out to anyone in the Wellington-Kapiti-Horowhenua who could rescue some caterpillars. I can deliver them.

Im focusing on those Butterflies who have made it. And Im trying to remember the balance of life and death on this physical plane, and the big pictute of love and beauty and truth. Im suue they all fly and fly on the other side.
    Fiona

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Caryl

Fiona, I am very happy your caterpillar situation was resolved with the co-operation and compassion of many. Heartwarming. I have need of assistance from you if I may. In the past 160 butterflies eclose,all inside. I brought them in to protect from predators and the high winds we have that blow butterflies in the process of eclosing. I need to know how you make those cradles as I have had 5 butterflies with tiny cremasters that didn’t make it. Some of their chrysalises were damaged but I wanted them to have a chance. I believe I could have saved some of them if I used your successful ‘cradles’. PLEASE HELP! Many thanks. Warm regards, Caryl

Jacqui

Yes please, Fiona – I didn’t know about that. Send the email on please to jacqui@monarch.org.nz.

Well done! 🙂

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Thanks to the Forum and Community – and to Leslie for her help with the tremendous Neighbourly site. I will have delivered 196 caterpillars to new homes by tomorrow.
    What a fantastic result. I met lovely people and viewed every plant!! It was a wonderful experince actually.
    I was deighted I could refer to the Association and the Forum and guide people as to how many plants their wee cat would need to grow to maturity.

Neighbourly asked me to ask the Chair – thats you Jacqui – to set up an Organisation site on Neighbourly to promote the Association and the care of Butterflies and Moths. I can forward you the email Jacqui.

Thank you to each of you
    Warm regards
    Fiona

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Hi Kathleen
    Ive misplaced my note book with contacts regarding rehoming caterpillars.
    Could you please text or phone me on 0275217071 or 049022562.
    Thank you Fiona

Caryl

Hi Again, I have plenty of caterpillars if you would like some. My first season butterflies have eclosed the past few days. Caryl (Seatoun)

Kathleen24
    Participant

Hey Fiona

I may be able to take a few caterpillars now, as my plants are on the road to recovery (having been attacked by aphids and snails/slugs and some disease, and a bit neglected besides) and I’ve no new eggs.

I’m close by, as I’m also in Raumati. I’ve got something on this afternoon, but I’ll text/call you later today or sometime tomorrow.

Kathleen

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Hi ‘Desiderata’

I would love to drop you off some precious little caterpillars!
    Each cat requires at least 3 foot long leafy stalks to grow to the pupation stage.
    How many stalks do you have? I can do the math and bring them to you 🙂
    Please could you send me your address and a day and time to suit you.
    Could you please phone or text me on 0275 217071. THANKS! Fiona

…..Hey there Ive just joined in this discussion..I live in Roseneath and have some good sized plants that could feed 20 cats if you are still needing food supplies…As yet no butterflies have dropped in to my garden so I’m empty!! let me know if I can help.

Desiderata
    Participant

Hey there Ive just joined in this discussion..I live in Roseneath and have some good sized plants that could feed 20 cats if you are still needing food supplies…As yet no butterflies have dropped in to my garden so I’m empty!! let me know if I can help.

Caryl

Hi Fiona, Twiglands in Johnsonville was getting more swan plants in yesterday in case you want more! Warm regards,Caryl

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Leslie – you have done a MAGNIFICENT job for the Monarchs.
    How can I thank you enough??
    Im going to drop off some chocolates this afternoon – hey I hope you can eat choccies 🙂

Lets try again to see if you can link me onto the site so I can take over the inquiries if possible. And I will try again to link in myself. I might contact the site for permission otherwise.

You have spent so much time on this – and I am so grateful.
    Thank you from my heart
    Fiona

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Thanks Jacqui
    I will file this info away.
    I have more deliveries to do today thanks to Leslie’s post in Neighbourly.
    I cant access Neighbourly’s Wellington suburbs from Kapiti.

Leslie has done a sterling job for the rehoming of Butterflies.
    Plus she has spent hours processing the many inquiries.

After that Im going to cull eggs. There is little food left on my plants.
    And (joyfully) my first Butterfly of the season was born the day before yesterday.
    A beautifiul female – and stroppy with it. Long may she fly!!
    I have over a 100 pupas on the way. This is what it’s all about!
    Fiona

LeslieD
    Participant

Well Fiona seems you are repopulating all the upper suburbs in Welly single handed lol. I’m still getting replys and requests today and the post has made the ‘most read neighbourly post list in Karori’ on stuff news.

So, hopefully it will all turn out a win/win for everyone.

Jacqui

Fiona – my advice would be – pack them up in the cool of the morning and put them in the box with some leaf but also twigs to keep the leaf from all sitting on the bottom – lots of air in there. Some airholes to the outside.

You could wrap the end of the swan plant leaf in damp tissue and cover it in plastic so that not everything gets wet but the food doesn’t dry out. Then yes send them by overnight delivery. There is no “Fragile” delivery although of course it doesn’t hurt to write that on the outside. And I wouldn’t advertise that there is insects inside as some staff tend to think this is prohibited and it just delays the process at the Post Office.

Take them to the Post Office later in the day so that they shouldn’t be sitting around in (possibly) a hot office area or van. Send them on a Monday, or Tuesday at the latest.

(This isn’t a normal situation, but my normal preference would be to send eggs rather than caterpillars as you can time things to get there before they hatch.)

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Hi Rob
    Whats the best method for posting caterpillars safely?
    In a smal box? Do you line with anything special?
    I dont think there is a fragile post in NZ – do you use a courier or sourier post with a track service?
    Thanks Fiona

rob cooper
    Participant

you could send pillers via overnite courier it works

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Im off to deliver 60 caterpillars to Wellington!! YAY!!
    I could not have done it without the support of forum members.
    Caryl for your help – especially at the end of last season in particular!
    Jacqui for your guidance – and especially your support during the banned fungicide crisis last season.
    And a big SHOUT OUT to Leslie for saving the day – getting the message out for homes for Catz online – and supporting me to get onto Neighbourly.

You are tremendous women – I just love you guys.
    Fiona

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Please excuse all my typos everyone. Just awful 🙁

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Hi Leslie
    You are truly an Angel! Thank you so much for all your support in helping find homes for 60 caterpillars. What a tremendound result.

I cant thank you enough
    Aroha
    Fiona

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Hi Caryl
    Thank you for your kind reply. Yes I planted my old plants too close together.
    Many are 6 foot tall now and others are 3-4 feet. I didnt know what was best practice then and fostering Monarhcs has been a harsh learning curve at times.
    And sometimes, sadly, with profound consequences.

But I had a beautiful Butterfly elcose yesterday morning – my first of the season.
    She had attitude and it was joy to welcome her to the world!

Thank you for your support
    Fiona

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Hi Jacqui
    Thank you so much for your recommedations. I have followed up re seeds, and will check regarding a Vegiepod too.
    I bought about 80+ great plants from Otaki yesterday – they look like mini Xmas trees!! I am replanting some in my shadehouse and others in my open garden.
    Ive asked the grower to supply me until July.

Thanks for mentioning Bioforce fertilizer in another post – I will purchase some asap and feed my established plants.

I will also cull eggs. This has been a trial for me in the past, but it is the better of the solutions. I will have to wear magnifyer glasses as I just dont see them 🙂
    Thank you again
    Fiona

Jacqui

Hi Fiona – another thought – the person posting about seedlings in Tauranga – in the past I have posted off seedlings wrapped in wet moss – maybe if you offered to pay the postage?

Gotta go!

Jacqui

Jacqui

Hi Fiona

Sorry, I’ve been tied up with preparations for the NZ Flower and Garden Show. Our exhibit is looking VERY exciting.

I was in the same boat as you earlier in the season as what with being away for long periods (weeds, snails, slugs) and the wet winter (plants dying) and the proliferation of snails and slugs, I lost most of my big ones. So what I did was planted THOUSANDS of seeds. I actually used a thing called a Vegepod but that’s not essential – so long as it is warm and kept damp. The swan plants grew like grass. I was feeding the seedlings to the caterpillars one at a time (when the caterpillars were small) and later 3-4 seedlings as they got bigger. Finally a lady brought around 200 caterpillars so I just let them go loose in the Vegepod. It worked very well, saved quite a few.

I don’t know what else to suggest but I do feel for you. Hope you can maybe adapt this idea. Remember it’s never too late! My Vegepod was empty apart from a few sticks a week ago, but now some of those sticks have resprouted, and other seed that had previously not sprouted, is showing signs of life.

Keep up the good work.

Caryl

Fiona,I am so sorry, your love and compassion is so obvious and i am sorry i cannot foster any of your caterpillars as my plants are being eaten so rapidly and i too will face an overabundance of eggs so will need to cull them at some point even though I have 2 South Island email buddies whom I send eggs to (130 in the past 2 weeks). Are your plants so closely together you could not monitor the eggs, giving you the opportunity to cull them before they hatched? May you get help from many sources. Re the spraying of plants I thought you had only to wait 2 weeks before the plants being safe for caterpillars? I admire all that you do.
    Caryl

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Leslie – thanks so much for your kindness, support and suggestions. I appreciate it.

Im going to purchase more swanplants tomorrow from Otaki so they will have food for a couple of days.

I am hopeful that some caterpillars will find homes through the community.
    And thank you for your offer to take some more catz too.

Fiona

LeslieD
    Participant

I managed to rehome quite a few via the community noticeboard a few years ago. You can be sure there are a lot of empty plants in the higher reaches of Welly (Karori, northland, kelburn and Brooklyn) because we just don’t have the butterflys as yet. I can take another 10 to 15 I think and I could find out if my client will take some Friday at the latest .. he has quite a lot of good sized plants that are empty.
    I suggest you put some notices on the community noticeboards.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.