Stripped Plants, what to do next? Moth Plant as feed? Removing seed pods

• Creator
    Topic

Dane Keriboi Hawker
    Participant

After a 6 day holiday in the far north I came back to find 4 of my plants completely stripped and overrun. I managed to move the cats around to other plants around the house and some to my work and crisis averted! Looks like my wasp problem from last year is solved 🙂

I still have 6 or so butterflies flying around the garden at all times so could be in for some future problems of lack of milkweed.

With the plants that are completely stripped what would you guys recommend I do with them for the remainder of summer? A couple of them are 2-3 meters tall.

Also can baby cats grow up on moth plant? I was thinking of finding some mothplant and feeding a heap of cats inside for my daughter to watch. She loved it last year but we found we got some deformed butterflies from substituting using pumpkin and I do not have any spare stock of plant to feed them like it did.

I have a few plants going to seed. Has anyone tried removing all the seedpods so the plants put all their energy into growing leaves and taller? does it work? does it hurt the plant?

Will order more plants from the trust 🙂

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Errol
    Participant

The Moth Plant, from memory they are regarded as a noxious weed and should not be sold, relocated or propagated – best you check up on that with your local council.

The ants will be feeding on the juice (can’t think of the correct term), of the aphids.

Best solution is to remove any monarch eggs or little caterpillars on their leaves to a safe place, then squash as many of the aphids as you can, followed by washing/spraying the plants in a soapy water mixture. When you are sure all the aphids are gone, put the caterpillars back on the plant. Would help you if you can protect the plant by either taking it inside, or covering it with something like frost cloth.

Good luck.

Mcattack
    Participant

Hey- noticed that my well-established swans are full of aphids- and ants love it too. Any ideas on how to control these without hurting the caterpillars? So far we’ve had a pretty healthy crop of butterflies emerging since Christmas so I’m guessing they’re not hurting our caterpillars, but I’m guessing it can’t be good for our plant?

Dane Keriboi Hawker
    Participant

Stripping the seed pod help with growth. The plant I did it to is now my best.

Haven’t got my hands on moth plant but haven’t looked hard yet.

Ive got some plants that are three years old and they are looking pretty sad. The cats prefer the newer plants

ruglem
    Participant

no, they are perennial. so mine either died from frost, or maybe because of the drained energy thing from seeding.. both, it was a big plant that worked very hard for the cause!

ruglem
    Participant

last year i let the seed pods mature and it did not seem to adversely affect the plant and i got well over 1000 seeds, have propagated about 300 and not even made a dent in the seed stock. the caterpillars will eat the pods too, bot not the seed within the pod. i think swan plants are bi-annual, taking two years to seed and then dying. have to google that one! perhaps compromise and leave some pods not all. its worth it for the free seed.. i notice swan plants have gone up $1.00 each year in the last three years. supply and demand…? or just greedy retailers..?

vivhig
    Participant

I tried giving them moth plant but they weren’t keen, though some nibbled the flowers. So I took a heap of cats to a Swan Plant I noticed nearby and transferred them! Nobody at home so I just did it! Left a note for them, though. Most of mine have `jay-ed’ so food not a problem right now. Will tend to the plant as advised. Lots of seedpods.

Dane Keriboi Hawker
    Participant

I just stripped one plant of all pods. Will be interesting. Havent been able to find any nearby mpth plants so will use S.T.A.M.P resources and go looking around the area.

Jacqui

With the plants that are completely stripped what would you guys recommend I do with them for the remainder of summer? A couple of them are 2-3 meters tall.

Prune them to get rid of any dead ends – cut them back to a node – and feed them well (horse poo, sheep poo, foliar feed etc) and keep them well watered. Watch out for aphids on the new shoots – and make sure you control ants.

Also can baby cats grow up on moth plant?

Not sure, but would like to know. If you’ve got too many caterpillars then why not put some on moth vine to see how they survive?

I have a few plants going to seed. Has anyone tried removing all the seedpods so the plants put all their energy into growing leaves and taller? does it work? does it hurt the plant?

Yes, some people do. I always think that I am going to try it “this year” but never get around to it. Won’t hurt the plant.

TgaLiz
    Participant

Hi Dane, yes, remove the seed pods so the plant’s energy all goes into growing leaves. If it hasn’t rained, water well on the ground around, not on the plant itself. Prune about half the branches well. Watch for any new shoots starting to appear, then prune down to those shoots. Bit too much of a strain on the plant to support the size you have, plus grow new leaves. And make sure you keep eggs off the tiny leaves until there is enough growth for them.
    Don’t worry about seeds, I have masses on the way, so will send them to Jacqui when they are ready to be shared.
    Sorry, don’t know about alternate feed, but there are other articles about that on this site. Good luck

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.