Tagging

Tagged: ,

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Charlotte
    Participant

Do we start tagging on the 1st of March?

As last year we started earlier in February.

Cheers

Char

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Haven’t received any notice from you yet, Jean, that you wanted tags. I will be sending more out later today, so can you get your request in ASAP.

Remember how to do it? You log in (as you would for the forum) and then go to the tab under RESEARCH which says REQUEST TAGS.

You only need to leave a comment if you want more than one sheet. Some people have said “more than one” or “heaps please”. That doesn’t help us at all – people need to be specific as to how many they require. One sheet has 25 tags.

Cheers

Jacqui

Jean
    Participant

Have not received tags yet, guess they got missed in the pile?? I ordered 2 packs, it seems a long time ago….
    A warm spell here again so our monarchs from my first batch are still laying too. New caterpillars are growing fast so should be ready to fly by April. Jean

Jacqui

Charlotte
    Participant

Thanks Jacqui makes things clearer now;-)

Cheers
    Char

Jacqui

The problem is that with Nature there are no strict “dates” to follow. Winter might start next week and stays for nine months, or it could be a short, mild winter. Butterflies don’t follow the same calendar that we do, of course, they are tuned to Nature and the seasons.

According to Prof Barrie Frost who asked that we not tag before 1 March, if we tag earlier than that we would be wasting tags. (I disagree – because we still need people to be aware of the project, so every “found” tagged Monarch is promotional.)

In Massey, last year, you still had them egg-laying throughout the winter. Will it happen this year? I don’t know. (I suspect it will.) That was how it was in Russell, and I didn’t bother tagging afer the first year. Every time there was a warm, fine spell, the females would return and lay eggs – so they didn’t seem to be in diapause at all.

Not every tagger would be as switched on as you, observing them laying, hence the general rule of a date (for humans). It’s much easier to say 1 March, than “IF this is happening and IF that is/isn’t happening”.

I hope that clarifies things.

Jacqui

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Jacqui,

Thanks but I’m confused now. LOL

If you say we want to capture the ones who are not laying, shouldn’t we wait to tag until they stop laying?
    If you remember last year we had them mating and laying right up until June here in Auckland.

Thanks
    Char

Jacqui

No harm done if you start earlier, Charlotte, but if your Monarchs are still laying eggs, then it would mean that they’re not the overwintering generation, so not the ones we want to tag.

Does that make sense?

We really want to measure the overwintering generation, so they’re the ones we want to tag. And they will not be sexually active.

Will leave it to you to decide.

Cheers

Jacqui

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.