Tagging article in the Tauranga Weekend Sun

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Charlotte
    Participant

Oh Trisha that’s neat to hear;-)
    Yes people love seeing the Monarchs fly about at the cemetery.

Cheers
    Char

Jacqui

Hey that’s fantastic to hear what you’re doing Darren, Char and Trisha. I bet the people are really touched.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s a lot to release in a day, Darren. Fantastic!!!
    Char, I release butterflies over at Waikumete too : )
    Good gardens and I think people visiting enjoy seeing them as well : )
    I have met people there who wanted the Monarchs released at the site they were visiting.Happy to oblige, of course : )

Charlotte
    Participant

WTG Darren I bet you felt neat after that.

We have been releasing a few of our tagged Monarchs in the cemetery.
    I know a weird place but lots of shelter and nectar there as well.
    I have my dad cremated there and my friend is also buried there at the cemetery. So each time I have a few to release we go to Waikumete to release some.

The last 2 times we have been there we had a spare one so I went up to people attending a grave site and asked them if they would like to release a Monarch Butterfly.
    They look at you all strange like how can this be? LOL
    but once they see the live butterfly they are mesmerized.

I say to them whisper your thoughts to the butterfly and then set him/her free.

Keep up the good work Darren.

Cheers
    Char

Darren
    Participant

I tagged and released 100 butterflies yesterday. Previously I have have done it in hidden spots like my back garden, but this time I decided to take a different approach, and released 25 in a crowded shopping centre and 75 in Yatton Park. I got to talk to lots of people, and I was surprised how many said “are you the bloke in the paper?”

Charlotte
    Participant

LOL Darren. I know how you feel and they take so many photographs and you wonder which photo will they use.
    You’re lucky to view the unused ones. I only got to see one unused photograph;-(

Cheers
    Char

Darren
    Participant

It was a painful exercise. “lean forward, move your arm, hold it up higher, turn the tag, smile more, just relax your face”

You can see the photos they didn’t use here:
    http://www.thesun.quikpix.co.nz/afa.asp?idWebPage=7822&idQuikPix_Customers=115&idQuikPix_Events=5844&SID=101584528&intStart=0&intEnd=SML2281994100.JPG

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.