Tags of the forum kind

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

Hi all

When you place a message in the forum please can you add a few words in the section below which help people who are searching for information. For instance, if you post about the cold, winter weather affecting Monarch pupae, then tags you could use would look like this:

cold,winter,Monarch,pupae,chrysalis

As people enter tags on their posts, then the more popular ones become larger to the right (there are more posts about caterpillars than about disease). This helps people look for help on specific topics.

Don’t forget that because we’re now "not just Monarchs" it might be wise to add the "Monarch" as one of your key words, especially if your post does not apply to other species.

Trisha and I have been applying tags to those posts which don’t have any – and we’re both very busy so running a little behind on our work – well I should speak for myself. But the last few weeks, with so much affecting our Monarch caterpillars, pupae and butterflies, there have been lots of people looking for help.

Thanks everyone. This is a wonderful place.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Hi all

Please remember to put tags on your posts in the forum here, it does help those who are searching for information – your post may be JUST what they want to find!

Read above for an explanation. If it’s not clear, happy to explain further.

Thanks all.

Jacqui

Please remember to add the tags – see the first post in this thread. It does make it easier for people searching the forum.

And to those who are confused about what is a tag – here’s a way of looking at it.

When you go into a library, and you want a certain book on non-fiction, in what sections would you look for it?

Okay – so suppose I am looking for a book which will tell me where Cabbage White butterflies “disappear” to in the winter, I would look under butterflies, Cabbage White, their scientific name Pieris rapae and perhaps winter.

And relating to tags, they could be entered in the string underneath where you post, like this: butterflies,Cabbage White,Pieris rapae,winter,overwinter

Don’t use “Monarch”, “butterfly”, “swan plants” as “Monarchs”, “butterflies” and “swan plant” are already hot tags – that would be just repetition. When I get time I’ll remove the duplication.

Cheers and thanks – it saves those of us who fix the posts a lot of time.

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is, what looks like a nice little feature – an RSS specific feed for each tag.

But at the moment it only gives me a copy of the whole forum feed.

Jacqui

My message was not intended to be rude, and I apologise unreservedly to anyone it has upset.

I know some relatively new forum users did not understand how the forum tags worked, and it can be a bit confusing for newcomers – so hopefully this has explained it.

I very much appreciate the work that Trisha has been doing to make this forum run so smoothly. Thanks Trisha.

Once again, my apologies.

Jacqui

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, yes – I have been very slack adding tags to others’ posts. Noticed some keymasters don’t always add their own tags either!
    Sometimes I can’t do it if the heading is long and the tags’ box doesn’t appear for me on IE. You will have to do those ones, Jacqui.
    Will clean up what I can.

Trisha

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.