Terry's Admiral Project in Britain update?

• Creator
    Topic

Jane
    Participant

Hey Terry,

How did your admiral project get through? I remember at one stage you Admirals were looking like they might not make it through, and seeing your name in the forum has made me wonder how you got on………I think you were down to a last few at one point…..any chance of an update?

Regards and best wishes – Jane

Viewing 25 replies - 926 through 950 (of 985 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Terry
    Participant

Dreadful day today, the sun came out but only for an hour just enough to awaken the Itea, but not warm enough to get them to feed much. The temperature only got up to +10c in the GH and after feeding they did not have much strength left to fly back to the roof where it is warmer, so I had to pick them up from the floor one by one and place them up as high as possible. A few flaked out and died and I ended the day cursing this terrible UK winter.

Jacqui

Mouth to mouth! Good on you Terry.

Terry
    Participant

-2c last night. The Arctic weather persists and this morning I had to revive about 4 Iteas that had collapsed due to the long sustained low temperature. I had to pick them off the floor and breathe on them until they were warm enough to get power back in the legs and then they were placed back on to the top netting where it is slightly warmer. A few others didn’t survive! The lengths we Butterfly Breeders go to keep our hobby alive are amazing!

Terry
    Participant

It’s almost tropical today compared to recent weather it’s still cloudy but it’s -0.5c outside, the amazing thing is that when I stepped out of the house at 08.30 this morning I felt quite warm for the first time in weeks, in a normal winter I would have felt very cold but I am becoming accustomed to the arctic weather. Today is the shortest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and of course your longest day in the Southern Hemisphere. The Iteas are still holding on and I decided to turn the heater down during the daylight hours today to keep them sleeping. It’s just a case of praying and patiently waiting to see if the weather will warm up before they perish.

Terry
    Participant

It got down to -10c last night and the heater held out! Amazingly the majority of Itea are still holding on, the weather shows no sign of getting better yet and tomorrow is the shortest day, so at least I can look forward to the day length increasing from 23rd December. On a normal year I find the itea start laying eggs about the end of January when the day length is sufficient to get the Butterfly house up to a reasonable temperature and the nettles start to grow again, but this year I may have to resort to artificial daytime heat, if we get some sunshine that is and of course if my stock can hold out that long!

Jane
    Participant

Sounds like an ice-age to me! Have just had a email from friends working over there that tell us the place is gridlocked with ice and snow and the infrastructure is unable to cope.

Warm wishes Terry – of a little sunshine for you and your Itea project for Christmas

Jane

Terry
    Participant

We have been warned it could go down to -10c in my area tonight, I do believe I am being tested to the limit this year as far as the weather goes. Anyone who decides to lecture me on the perils of Global Warming will be taking risks with their wellbeing at this moment in time, as I am in no mood to listen to Pseudoscience. As for the Iteas, I have lost a few but amazingly some have survived, However -10c will be the record low if it comes true and I am very worried that this will prove too much and the stock will be lost. I will report tomorrow on the outcome and pray that the forecast is overly pessimistic.

Terry
    Participant

Hi Jacqui
    My Butterfly house is at my parents property as they have a large garden with a near perfect setting for it, in order for it to get maximum winter sunshine. (in a normal winter).
    Anyway I can report only a couple of losses, so I must admit I am surprised as it was really cold last night. Tonight at 18.00hrs it was -2c and after checking all was well with heater, I have just arrived home through the snow to make this report.

Jacqui

Oh Terry, it sounds terrible. Wish we could do something. We are hearing the weather reports you’re having and seeing some of the conditions on the news each night too.

Is your butterfly house on public land or… ?

Terry
    Participant

Saturday morning, and looking out of the window we have snow falling! The temperature last night was -8c outside when I left the butterfly house at 21.00hrs and I dread to think how much lower it got after I left for home. the only consolation last night was watching the BBC Nature programme on Butterflies which was good in part but aimed more at the general public than enthusiasts, it seemed quite strange to see butterflies on the TV whilst it was like the North Pole outside. I have a spade in the boot of my Car so I can dig my way over to the butterfly house 3-4 miles away this morning, as our government are useless when it comes to keeping our road, rail and air network open in a crisis. I left the heater in the Butterfly house on as high as it was safe to set it but I expect to find dead stock today as this terrible weather has persisted for far too long. There were a couple that had fallen to the floor comatose last night that I moved to a higher point where it was warmer, but I don’t rate their chances as this weather is due to continue for at least another 7 days, my only hope is that as the shortest day is only 3 days away that any survivors may get a sunny day warm enough to get a few eggs laid, but it’s a long shot!
    I will report soon on what I find today.

Terry
    Participant

The weather has taken a turn for the worse again, cold tonight -3c and snow for Saturday. Yellow Admirals still surviving but for how much longer?

Terry
    Participant

Cloudy and cold today! No activity from Butterflies, weather forecast poor for next 5 days and very cold at night!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Terry
    Ditto what Jane said – I enjoy your updates. I marvel at the effort you make.
    My Yellow Admirals are a rather haphazard affair, but they are happening.
    Hope the weather warms for you – but then, it is winter.
    We are doing the summer drought again this year.
    Good luck
    Trisha

Terry
    Participant

Terry
    Participant

Hi Jane
    You must have connections in high places I don’t know about as we have had some sunshine today! The temperature got up to 24c in the Butterfly house but because it was hazy it did not induce the paired females to lay eggs, however at sunset there were 2 pairings so that helps a bit. The problem now is the weather forecast is back to winds from the Arctic on Friday 17th with heavy snow over the weekend and grey and cold leading up to it, so the Iteas will have to hunker down and see just how resilient they are. There are still 9 days to the shortest day as well. The weather seems to be extreme in both hemispheres what with your drought and our deep freeze. The 17th does have one good thing going for it! BBC 2 20.00hrs see link http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/programmes/schedules/england/2010/12/17
    20:00?21:00 Natural World, Butterflies: A Very British Obsession
    8/14. Wildlife documentary featuring the fascinating lives of Britain’s butterflies.
    I don’t know if this will be available on the bbc iplayer outside of the UK but if it is I will place link here when available.

Jane
    Participant

I do hope you get some sun soon Terry – it is excellent to read your updates. I regularly think of you over there and wonder if you have any sun yet, and I know I’m not alone in enjoying your regular contributions to the forum here.

We are having an exzceptionally hot and dry season here. Our regional council had declared a drought this year before summer even started on Dec1st. We need rain here, and whilst the warm settled weather is marvellous, the poor farmers are at thier wits end desperate for some decent pasture. It seems we are subject to the La Nina/El Nino oscillation this year with temperatures in the Manawatu region many days between 5-7 degrees C above the seasonal average for our area. Lawns are brown and dry and gardens looking parched. We are using water sparingly and mostly on our food crops, so the ornamental garden gets treated occasionally, but the tomatoes potatoes and beans etc are priority here to keep us eating 🙂

Heres hoping the forecast will bring you a sunny day or two soon Terry. If only we could package some up and send you some of our surplus eh!! 🙂

Jane

Terry
    Participant

Cloudy but milder today 5c, Iteas still sitting it out patiently and with 10 days to go to the shortest day I am very tense as to whether this year is going to be the last for them.

Terry
    Participant

1 hours worth of sun in the end! Enough to give some of the Iteas a quick nectar feed and then they headed back to roost, what an incredible winter!!!

Terry
    Participant

There is a good possibility of sunshine tomorrow. I hope the GH can get warm enough for a few eggs to be laid!

Terry
    Participant

-3c this morning and it is set to be foggy all day. I checked out the stock and they are still just sitting it out waiting for that strange thing in the sky called Sun! No let up in sight, I wonder how long they can last in this weather. Even if they do succumb I will have learned one final lesson, “just how long the adults survive in extreme conditions”. How much easier life would be if I had chosen a different species to research such as one that Hibernates as an adult like Peacock, Comma, Brimstone, etc? I could just collect them up in September and place them in a box in the refrigerator until March/April. So much easier!

Jacqui

Amazing, Terry! Rather you than me.

Terry
    Participant

The temperature last night got down to -4c and then at midnight it went up to +2c and by morning a slight thaw had developed, I uncovered the Butterfly house and because we had some hazy sun this morning the temperature went up to +10c inside, for about an hour before it clouded over, but it was enough time to feed a few of my stock with some nectar ready for the next cold session starting Sunday night. Next week the temperatures are forecast to drop to -8c on occasion and possibly lower, I hope they have got it wrong, but another 7 days of this is pushing my luck to the limit! Sunshine needed urgently!!!

Terry
    Participant

-4c all day today, It’s now 18.46hrs as I write this and the temperature will drop to about -5c before it clouds over and should be about 0c by the morning 06.00hrs. At the moment sunshine is forecast for Tuesday but they keep getting the forecasts wrong so it’s fingers crossed for an improvement, However they said at least another 7 days of very cold weather to go. Will the itea last that long?

Darren
    Participant

The bitter British weather is now being reported on our news bulletins.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Terry, you need to move here and give our Admirals a boost in a much more temperate climate!!!!!
    Maybe MBNZT will sponsor your immigration.
    I will if I win lotto.
    Good luck with your continuing project!!
    Best
    Trisha

Viewing 25 replies - 926 through 950 (of 985 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.