Terry's Admiral Project in Britain update?

• Creator
    Topic

Jane
    Participant

Hey Terry,

How did your admiral project get through? I remember at one stage you Admirals were looking like they might not make it through, and seeing your name in the forum has made me wonder how you got on………I think you were down to a last few at one point…..any chance of an update?

Regards and best wishes – Jane

Viewing 25 replies - 951 through 975 (of 985 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Terry
    Participant

Thanks Trish! I think we have probably swapped weather with Canada this last month; it’s not normally this bad!
    Last night we had another 10cm of snow and I have just been brushing it off my car so I can try to visit my Butterfly House which is located 4 miles away at my Parents house. So far the iteas have come through ok but tonight the forecast is for -5c or lower, so I need to go check the heater because if that should fail all will be lost. If I win our lottery I think I will emigrate to NZ and live in the North Island, it will make breeding Itea much easier than what I have to go through at the moment

Anonymous
    Inactive

Brrrrr – terrible weather there. Many are getting it worse than you, it seems – but they are probably not trying to raise butterflies.
    Northern Canada, where I have friends, sounds quite tropical by comnparison.
    We ARE so lucky with our climate here. It is warm, and some rain would lovely where I live in Auckland – much needed.
    Hope your Itea survive.
    Best
    Trisha

Terry
    Participant

-2C to -3C all day today, Iteas are still half comatose roosting and waiting. There is a rumour that the weather will get a bit better on Sunday, I really hope so!

Terry
    Participant

Well, the landscape looks like a traditional Christmas card scene today, snow everywhere; it’s still snowing now as I write this post at 12.56hrs. The itea are still roosting waiting for an improvement and still the weather office says no let up for at least 7 days and it will get colder still on Friday. I bet it’s lovely over in NZ at the moment even if you have rain, at least it will be warm!

Terry
    Participant

The Weather over here in the UK is truly appalling at the moment, it?s about -4c at this time 07.07hrs and snow is forecast for tomorrow in the South East. How I wish I were a Brimstone Butterfly and I could crawl in to an Ivy Patch and hibernate until spring. Yesterday it was sunny but the temperature outside did not rise above 0.5c, I left the heater on in the Butterfly house all day but it only got hot enough for the Iteas to feed from the nectar pads for a brief period around 13.00hrs and then back to roost in the lemon tree and above on the netting. The forecast is for at least another 7 days of this, Brrrr!

Hi Terry
    Thanks for your updates AND thanks for sharing your info it means a lot to me and has helped me help so many others to raise admirals.
    Its great to get your knowledge and experience about our admirals as not many in NZ have taken on such a amazing project like yours.
    Thanks again!
    Angie

Terry
    Participant

Awful day today, -3c when I went outside first thing this morning it’s now 13.26hrs and it a balmy 0c, cloudy and the Iteas are just roosting patiently and waiting for the sun to return.

Terry
    Participant

When I checked my GH this morning my heart sank as I walked down the gerden path toward it, even though it had 2 dust sheets covering the top I could see frost all down the exposed glass on the sides. I really thought I would be collecting dead stock when I got inside. However when I got inside the temperature was 0 to +1C and they had all just survived. I uncovered and left the heater on all day as it was sunny for a change. The temperature crept up to +20c max and at 14.30 when the sun was almost to low to strike the glass I counted 5 pairings, This makes 7 pairings in total since this batch emerged. No eggs have been laid so far as conditions are so poor due to the very low temperatures this November. I may have to resort to an indoor set up, placing small nettle plants in pots in a small cage with the mated females and heated by a 100w halogen bulb to get eggs if things don’t improve. the forecast is for this weather to continue for at least 10 more days. Tonight I have covered the GH with 3 dust sheets and turned the heater up to max, it was already -3c outside by 18.00hrs, maybe this year the weather will defeat me, at least in previous years the real bad weather came as is normal in Jan/Feb as the days were getting longer, not shorter as they are at this time of year

Darren
    Participant

Yikes! Its 9:30 pm in Tauranga, still 19.5C and 49% humidity. I have a fan next to computer pointing at me.

Terry
    Participant

If anyone is interested on what a UK winter is like in my area, try this link. and don’t forget this will last until March/April time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/4275?

Now I hope you are all very grateful to live in such a moderate climate, Apart from the odd shaking you get from Seismic activity, I don’t fancy swapping that with you!

Jacqui

Oh brrrr, Terry. It is COLD here too, but not THAT cold! 🙂

Terry
    Participant

My word these UK weather forecasters are good! Last night we were told clear -3c this morning I wake up and its +1c and light snow. need more sunshine and soon!

Terry
    Participant

Hard Frost this morning, came home from work found 1 pairing again, no eggs laid as yet from first pairing 5 days ago. Weather tonight -3c forecast, and possible snow for the weekend, we usually don’t get snow until Jan – feb time. So much for global warming! Looks like I may have to give up Buttefly breeding for Polar Bears if it gets much worse.

Terry
    Participant

Got to Tuesday, weather forecast wrong! as usual! Cloudy and cold, poor iteas are sitting quietly waiting for sunshine, hope it’s not long because they won’t last forever, and forcast now very cold rest of week and hard night frosts.

Terry
    Participant

Had sunshine today but only one pairing, cloudy cold weather forecast until at least tuesday, so frustrating!

Terry
    Participant

Hi all
    Most have emerged now, I don’t know how many I ended up with as I have been at work and let them emerge in the Butterfly House. However there are a reasonable amount, but a few got the disease and failed to colour up. Now as I said in previous post, I just need some mild weather with plenty of sunshine!

Terry
    Participant

Another 20 emerged this morning and possibly more by days end, and it’s sunny! Hurrah!!! Maybe I will get some pairings and if this sunshine persists for a few days some eggs. This would work out just right as the next batch should “in theory” be emerging just before the shortest day 21st December, This is the most critical time because it won’t be before the end of January until there is sufficient sunlight to get more generations.
    Where did you move to Jacqui and is it nice? Any photos of the area?

Jacqui

Yes, things are nice here. We have had rain every few days, so the garden is looking pretty sweet. I am trying to create a new garden (moved house a few months ago) so it’s been very pleasant.

Terry
    Participant

I have 16 Yellow Admirals emerged so far from the latest batch, but the weather is pretty awful at the moment. In the daytime it’s cloudy and at night the sky clears and it’s frosty, not ideal as I need sunny days to get the Butterfly house warm enough to get pairings and thus more eggs. I checked out the temperatures in NZ today from the bbc website and realised i’m in the wrong hemisphere at the moment, temperatures of around 22C in Auckland suit me better than our paltry 5C.

Jacqui

I hope so too, Terry. Keep us posted!

Jacqui

Terry
    Participant

Hi all
    It’s 22.00 hrs here in the UK as I post this and I was just about to turn off the computer and realised I had not updated my totals of Itea pupae to the good folks of Monarch Trust who have over the years taken such an interest in my exploits.
    Well the disease finally finished of my remaining Larvae but not before 140 had managed to pupate, so it was not the disaster I had imagined it would turn out to be, so far!!! The pupae may turn black and die yet, but the ones I checked today are wriggling like crazy when I touch them so I may have got lucky this time. I must have lost over 50 large larvae yesterday so the disease broke out late enough to stop from destroying the whole lot. Better luck with the next generation I hope!!!

Jane
    Participant

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your encouragement. The links you have posted above are fascinating – thanks for those Terry – I’ll look over them in more detail at my leisure 🙂

Cheers – Jane

Terry
    Participant

Hi Jane
    You are doing a great job helping the Admirals in your area, I remember during my visit to NZ in 1991-2 that I saw only one Yellow Admiral and no Reds, I was shocked at how hard it was to find Nettles compared to the UK, so keep up what you are doing it can only help. Somewhere (can’t find it at this time) in my Butterfly Book collection I have an AES booklet called “breeding the British butterflies” By Peter Cribb in this he mentions an Entomologist called Brian Gardiner who bred The Large White (Pieris brassicae) in captivity for many years and Peter mentioned how shocked he was to see that when Brian had an outbreak of disease in his stock he would not separate the diseased from the cage but keep them together dead and live ones and any survivors would be used to pass on resistance to the next generation. I don’t know if I would like to do this myself but it’s an interesting theory, and although there were huge losses, Brian was very successful using this method.

http://www.amentsoc.org/about/gardiner-biography.html

http://shop.amentsoc.org/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=188

Terry

Jane
    Participant

Hi Terry,

No insecticides used. They are in what is fondly termed here a ‘caterpillar castle’. When I returned home from work today one of the pupae had hatched into a very normal looking yellow. The other two pupae won’t be far behind – perhaps a day or two. However the caterpillars bit the dust and I have been in touch with Norm. We are in agreement that it is likely the virus you speak of – same symptoms, so I will have to sterilise my ‘caterpillar castle’ – oh well – as Norm says it goes with the territory! Still fun raising Admirals 🙂

Since introducing Admirals here in my area of Palmerston North, I see many wild ones flitting around, so there is obviously a reasonable wild population established here now of mostly Yellows, but the occasional Red too. I just make sure I throw plenty of nettle seed around to ensure host plants 🙂

Jane

Terry
    Participant

Hi Jacqui
    I didn’t think that Jane would have that problem, but just in case I thought it best to mention it. I think the chemical in moth balls is Dichlorvos and other nasties mixed together in the hanging fly killers. Makes you wonder what long term exposure does to us doesn’t it, after all some insecticides contain nerve agents developed for military purposes in the cold war era, that’s why they have a paralyzing effect on them.

Viewing 25 replies - 951 through 975 (of 985 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.