Terrys Butterfly house Video UK

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just wondered, had a brief chat to him before I launched the website as he has authored http://ukbutterflies.co.uk

Seems like a pretty good chap & I have a feeling he’s in Surrey or Hants.

Terry
    Participant

Hi Robert

Don’t know Peter Eeles. Tell me about him!

Terry

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you, always good to hear.

Robert.

Jane
    Participant

I saw your website too Robapon, and think its absolutly marvellous. Is in my favourites too : ) BRILLIANT!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, I looked at those photos Terry.

Pleased you liked & found the website useful. Pass my details on to any site admin people for UK sites if you know any. Do you know Peter Eeles?

Terry
    Participant

Hi Robert

I never realized that nzbutterfly.info was your website and I added it to my faves as soon as I discovered it a few months ago! Well done it’s just what was needed! It’s funny you should mention the Sheepleas did you see the recent photos I posted the link for in May this year on an earlier thread?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Terry,

I think I went to Ranmore with Merrist Wood college once, but otherwise stuck to Pewsley Down mainly as it was close by. However my college work experience was with SCC Rights of Way (west divsion), so I pretty much walked most of the footpaths, etc in Guildford & Waverly districts.

One guy I knew from (one of the) Horsley’s throught the Sheepleas was excellant, but I only went a few times.

When I lived in Worplesdon I did a few trips to Lightwater, but didn’t bother much after moving to Shalford.

I did most of my Butterfly work in Devon as a teenager, then shy’ed away from it until 18 months ago or so, apart from odd times. I was put off by lack of info in NZ, which is what prompted me to write & publish http://nzbutterfly.info

Robert.

Terry
    Participant

Hi Robert

It would be nice to see you if you come to the UK. Make sure you come in the Summer and I can show you some great Butterfly sites to visit. Did you ever go to Denbies Hillside Ranmore common Nr Dorking Surrey, when you were over here?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Terry,

Great setup you have. The Ferret Video is a laugh as well. Might have to look you up next time I’m in Surrey, which’ll be another couple years I suspect yet, so you have time to run away & hide.

I studied & lived in the GFD area before moving to NZ, so know that neck of woods well.

Roebrt.

Terry
    Participant

Thanks for all the comments so far!

All the info requested can be found by going to the tab “Other Species” top of this page, then click on “Breeding Yellow admirals”
    There were about 600 in the butterfly house when filming, now about 800. I have 52 New Zealand Red Admiral larvae in rearing boxes and hope to have some of them to film if lucky! I have kept the Yellow Admirals going for 12 years ( approx 55- 60 generations)without introducing fresh stock from NZ. I find them much easier than the Reds that require different conditions to the Yellows. My stock cannot be released as they are not native to the UK. When I used to breed Vanessa Atalanta (The European Red Admiral) In my younger days I could release excess stock to the wild and help boost local numbers. Some years I would release hundreds of Red Admirals. Peacocks, Painted Ladies, Commas, and Small Tortioiseshells that I had bred in captivity

Clair
    Participant

Ditto with the WOW – it was certainly enjoyed. So I reckon you need to give us some commentry on that – what are the plants? how do you ventilate the house? what are you feeding them? etc etc – please

Anonymous
    Inactive

Big WOW. Fabulous.
    Trisha

Charlotte
    Participant

Oh wow that’s so amazing. I need a butterfly house like your one;-))

Charlotte

Terry that is amazing! I wish I had more space for a house like yours.
    How do you keep the pot blue pot sponges from going moldy?
    Angie

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.