Too many caterpillars, not enough swan plants – Whangarei

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

DianeLee
    Participant

Help! I am overrun with hungry caterpillars. I have hundreds at the moment and am running out of plants. Have been able to translocate a few off to other plants in the area but if anyone would like some please contact me.

Diane

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

SallyM
    Participant

Thanks Perpetuna. Mostly under control now :). I’ve found moth vine on a roadside plus small swan plants literally growing in the gutters around the neighbourhood. These (I’m pretty sure) were sprayed the day before I pulled them but I gave them a good soak and have been careful about introducing caterpillars. So far no-one seems worse off.

I’ve had problems however with the swan plants I bought on Thursday. At least 2 definitely had pesticide, the other 2 I’ll know by tomorrow (purchased from 2 separate stores). Fortunately I was also careful about introducing pillars to these so casualties have been minimal. Bah!

They’re keeping me busy! Fun fun 🙂

Pepetuna
    Participant

SallyM that’s my experience with pumpkin too. To tide them over until you can secure some plants from your Aunty in Kerikeri or purchase from MBNZT (through Jacqui), you could try the caterpillars on bits of the Moth Vine, Araujia sericifera. This is a serious pest plant in Northland so you wouldn’t grow it, but I can’t see why you couldn’t use it. There is a good photo on the Northland Regional Council website here http://www.nrc.govt.nz/News-Archive/2008/Landowners-urged-to-control-moth-plant/

SallyM
    Participant

Thanks Jacqui. Yes, that’s better.

I have remembered my Aunty in Kerikeri used to have lots of plants so will contact her tomorrow. Failing that I could well be keen.

I don’t know moth plants Clinton but will look them up. In my experience pumpkin can tie them over briefly but doesn’t sustain them.

clinton9
    Participant

Try moth plants, pumpkins

Jacqui

We have plants for sale here, about 200-300mm tall, three to a pot, $5 each if you know someone in Auck who is heading back to Whangarei.

We have been successfully sending them elsewhere by removing the potting mix, wrapping the roots in damp newspaper and post/couriering them off. $27 gives you nine plants that way, so that’s better than what you paid. And they have great healthy growth on them. Contact me, jacqui@monarch.org.nz, if you want some.

SallyM
    Participant

Hi Diane, I’m in the same predicament, also Whangarei.

I’ve been around plant shops with little luck, bought 4 x small plants at nearly $5 each. Insufficient!

If you find a supply of plants would also love to hear about them.

DianeLee
    Participant

Thanks for the tip on the Quarry Gardens. Have translocated 60 caterpillars in various growth stages up there. The plants were quite small so did not want to overburden them. Still looking for more plants.

Charlotte
    Participant

I will check our caterpillars also Kate. As we have far too many and let you know:-)

Pepetuna
    Participant

If you still have a surplus next week I can take some Diane. I am heading up North probably Tuesday. Email me at hinekiriatea@hotmail.com. Cheers Kate

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.