Too many caterpillars

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, this is our 1st year and we are inundated with cats and not enough food, poor things are leaving the plants far too early. I have seen on the site that can use cucumber, pumkin and cucumber which we will also try. We are in Howick and happy to drop off if anyone can help :) contact details are 021 136 2176. Thanks, Francesca

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Paulette
    Participant

I am running out of milk weed for my caterpillers to eat. Is there anyone in the Tauranga area that has ample that I could come and get?

Charlotte
    Participant

Thanks Helen and glad we could help you and your caterpillars out.
    Just sing out if you need more for your hungry munchkins;-)

Cheers
    Char

catlady
    Participant

Thanks Darren – I’ll just stick to the milkweed then. 🙂

I went round to Char’s place last night with my uncle, and saw the beautiful butterfly garden that she and her husband have created over the last 3 years. (I’m feeling quite inspired to create something similar in the Coromandel when I eventually move out there.) Then we stocked up on a bootful of swanplants for my hungry stripey guys.

So thanks so much, Char – I’m very grateful, and I’m sure the little guys are too… they’re munching away happily.

Cheers, Helen

Darren
    Participant

Hi Helen, milkweeds contain a cocktail of chemicals called cardenolides, these are a kind of steroid and are poisonous to most creatures with a backbone. However Monarch caterpillars and Oleander aphids concentrate these to protect themselves from their enemies. I am not aware of any pumpkin containing these poisons, and it would be bad news for us if they did!

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Helen,

If you would like some extra feed we have plenty to spare.
    Email me and come and get some if you live in West Auckland. We have loads of wild plants growing and its like a forest up the front of our place;-)

My email is charlotte@monarch.org.nz or text 0211881853 or 021963507 (work cell)

Cheers
    Char

catlady
    Participant

Hi everyone – I was just wondering… will any type of pumpkin do for the bigger caterpillars, or are there some pumpkins that are better than others?
    I’m struggling to keep up with my caterpillars’ appetites! They sure can eat! I bought six new swan plants over the weekend and Jacqui kindly gave me some that she had, but I don’t want to strip all my newly planted plants before they’ve had a chance to grow. I bought six small plants in pots at Mitre 10 today and have ‘sacrificed’ them in the castles as I’m running out of branches to pick from my established plants. So being able to supplement their diet with the odd bit of pumpkin would be great.

Cheers Helen

rachael
    Participant

ok thank you soo much!!!!

Darren
    Participant

Hi Rachael, pumpkin is not a complete food for the smaller monarch caterpillars, and they will not survive on it. However larger caterpillars can make it if they already have enough of their essential nutrients from the milkweeds and just use the pumpkin to bulk up. As a rule of thumb *most* of the monarch caterpillars over 2cm can get by with pumpkin.

rachael
    Participant

HI

I also have way to many caterpillars and they have stripped the plant clean.
    was wondering if anybody from wellinton would be able to help out. ph: (04) 5651517
    And i was wondering if they can actually eat pumpkin because i saw some other people writing that they will eat it bit wont change into butterflys??

Thanks heaps!

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Chrissie

Happy to help you out with some food or if you like I can take some caterpillars from you.
    I did text you and my number is 021-188-1853.

Cheers
    Char

Munro
    Participant

Hi – we have three plants but they are almost stripped plus we have an aphid attack. We have about 50 cats – any suggestions? What else can we feed them? I’ve read pumpkin and cucumber but not sure what to do. Jacqui I might give you a call and see if you can assist with another swan plant. or if anyone in Auckland is interested in getting some Cats if they have empty plants? Text me on 021 065 9000. Thanks Chrissie

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Jacqui, will see you tomorrow. Whilst I was checking the plants for aphids, I thought I would count the cat’s…..124, slightly more than I told you! Earlier this afternoon the kids and I watched a butterfly emege from its chrysalis, our first time and an amazing experience.

Jacqui

Francesca – if you want, come and get some swan plant (free) from me. 551 3383, I’m in Blockhouse Bay, or could take some to Manurewa tomorrow morning.

Jacqui

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.