Trying to set up butterfly garden – Tauranga

Tagged: ,

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi everyone,

First things first, im a mad butterfly lover and i want to help by planting part of our field in flowers and host plant for not only monarchs but admirals. ( + blues, coppers and ringlets if its possible)

Ive already started planting swan plants in my seed trays but im after 100s, as well as nettles. ( We live rurely.)

Does anyone have spare swan plant seedlings/ nettle seedlings we can get hold of. Im willing to pay for them as well as postage.

Any information is great. Especially on any other species to attract them in and host plants.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cheers Norm,

Ive heard from the guys in the US about getting a huge castle now im just waiting to get a price hopefully 6 ft cube would be enough space to get some breeding going on.
    Mr. Zoe.

NormTwigge
    Participant

Zoe, the admiral butterflies pair best if given a little space as they have a courtship flight which consists of chasing prior to coupling, so they may or may not pair in a castle depending on the size. Once paired however the female will oviposit in a confined space, given a source of nectar and a potted nettle.

Anonymous
    Inactive

ive only got a few atm so a bit like you not 100% on what sex ive got, but there is more due to hatch soon, sadly i lost a few tho and im not sure why they just stopped eating

Pepetuna
    Participant

That’s so exciting to get your first reds! Let us know how you get on with the pairing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

have had the 1st red admirals come out today that i got from Anna, so they are now safe and sound in their castle hoping to get a pairing out of them before i let them go.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Had our 1st yellow admrial visit out garden today, not sure if it was one we released or someone new

Jane
    Participant

Hello Mary,

How lovely to see a post from you. I was wandering around in my garden casting a critical eye over my chieranthus the other day, and on passing one that you gave me, I found myself wondering how you were getting along, and I hope this post finds you well again.

I have visited Te Puna Quarry Park twice since I last saw you, and I don’t think a visit to Tauranga will now ever be complete without a re-visit. Each time I have found something different that I haven’t seen before. Last time I went to the very top up to the farmland fence. So much to see and so many great views, sculptures of all kinds, and butterflies everywhere….a veritable wonderland. Good luck with your festival.

Good luck with your stall too Zoe.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What number stall are you going to be? We have got stall 74 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi mary.

Funny you mention that, im hoping to get a stall there myself. So hopefully will see you there

tramp
    Participant

Hi Zoe,
    Hope all is going well with your butterfly garden you could come to our Festaval at the Te Puna Quarry Park Sunday 6th November, Norm Twigge and I will be there and can help you with any problems or you can phone me, Mary, 576 4752 Evenings. we will have swan plants, nettles and bits and pieces the first yellow Admiral at the Quarry this morning hope it finds a mate and starts laying eggs. look forward to meeting you.

Anna
    Participant

Its great to see the photo…and that he is happily feeding. I do find that some are happy to hang around where as others fly off without a backwards glance!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Zoe managed to get an awesome photo of our little yellow admiral, this guy for some reason cant fly, not sure why but he just doesn’t want to fly, we put him out side for a day and by dark he hadn’t moved so brought him in side and is a castle until he is a bit stronger and then will try him again
    Mr. Zoe

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c88/airpic/garden/?action=view&current=IMG_9816.jpg

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dont have any doc herre, but hes ok, he can feel his fingers again and the welts have gone down

NormTwigge
    Participant

Hi Zoe,

Dock leaf does neutralise the stinging, just make sure the leaf is crushed to release the moisture. If your husband didn’t get stung by the Ongaonga that would probably be because it is still young, so don’t get complacent as it packs the worst sting of all nettles when the spines are developed.

Anna
    Participant

OUCH Zoe….poor hubby!
    I have heard that if you rub dock leaf on it it will relieve it.
    Then go out and buy him some dish washing gloves for protection from the plants, as it can hurt quite a bit. Any stings I get seem to disappear after a few hours.
    I hope it doesn’t put him off;(

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok i need tips on how to calm down neetle stings, my hubby has just been out planting up some more neetles into our food plant area, he now has welts up n down his arms and hands where he has been stung, from what he said the worst sting was from the a little ground neetle, but the ongaonga didnt sting him at all. Dont tell him but im laughing at him with these welts the size of a 10c coin

Charlotte
    Participant

You certainly won’t regret it Zoe. They really do have some cheap plants;-)

Our nettles we managed to get from Anna have really grown and the bathtub is looking good now;-)

LOL Zoe we used to think this all the time when we first started raising Admirals, but it does take time and it will pay off for you if you keep at it Zoe;-)

It has taken us a couple of years but we now have nectar plants for each season.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks very much for the tip, havnt got any plans to get up there at the moment but next trip will get in there and have a look.

On another note ive got my neetles planted today after some really bad weather slowed me up.

In other news we releasd our 1st yellow today that we got as a caterpillar from anna, was very cool, it took one look at our garden and and flew the other way, hope they dont all do that

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Zoe,

If you’re ever up in Auckland you could try Plantarama in Kumeu.
    They have very cheap plants/trees ($5, $10) right down the back of their garden centre.
    If you know your plants this the place to get them. They will need some tender loving care though;-)
    They do have huge (and I mean huge) B. Salvifolia for $10 there at present.

We managed to get quite a few of our buddleias from there last year.

Cheers
    Char

Jane
    Participant

Hi Zoe,

Your project looks great! Don’t forget to take plenty of progress pics. I will be interested to see how it all looks when you’ve got it set up : )

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well a couple of weeks have gone past and we have been for a trip up north to get some nettles and tom has been hard in the garden getting a new garden bed laid, going to get it fulled with soil tomorrow and then plant it out. have attached a couple of photos for you as well
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c88/airpic/garden/IMG_9849.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c88/airpic/garden/IMG_9852.jpg

the plan is over the next couple of months to get up with about 10 of these raised beds, this one will be nettles, will have another one with clover and swan plants, and as many nectar plants as i can fit 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow thank you so much pepetuna, ill look forward to hearing from you. Im on the hunt for people selling it, as well as quite established plants.

-I watched my first monarch land on my baby swan plants a few weeks ago, she was so beautiful, next thing i new i was watching her laying eggs all over them.
    This morning i went out to see how everything was going, and thought hmm ill check to see how the eggs are doing. Low and behold i have baby monarch Caterpillars all over the plants 😀 not im hunting for grown swan plants to feed them.

Pepetuna
    Participant

zoe, it’s so heartening to hear of butterfly gardens being established. I got my buddleia from a lovely lady in Tauranga, so if the cuttings I put in about three weeks ago “take” I will make sure you are offered some. Pepetuna (Waikato)

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks anna, the neetles arrived today along with the lil cats, thanks so much will get some stamps off to you soon

Anna
    Participant

Nice to see the photo Zoe…all the best for a great Butterfly raising time.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.