Trying to set up butterfly garden – Tauranga

Tagged: ,

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi everyone,

First things first, im a mad butterfly lover and i want to help by planting part of our field in flowers and host plant for not only monarchs but admirals. ( + blues, coppers and ringlets if its possible)

Ive already started planting swan plants in my seed trays but im after 100s, as well as nettles. ( We live rurely.)

Does anyone have spare swan plant seedlings/ nettle seedlings we can get hold of. Im willing to pay for them as well as postage.

Any information is great. Especially on any other species to attract them in and host plants.

Viewing 11 replies - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Anonymous
    Inactive

Total land area is around 100SQM i think, had to get permission from the land lord to do this, but we plan on living here for a long time 🙂 ive ordered some buddleias off trademe but are very very small, if anyone know of large/adult plants for sale let me know, and the same goes for the ongaonga as well, norm thanks for the info on the drying out, ill bite the bullet and plant it along the boundry, gota be a bit carefully with height so i dont ruin the view lol.

NormTwigge
    Participant

Hi Zoe,

Ongaonga needs to be kept from drying out which is difficult to achieve if in a pot as it will need watering every day during summer. Perhaps you may consider planting it in the ground with a barrier around it. It can be kept trimmed, using gloves of course, and winter is the time to do this.

Jacqui

Beautiful area, Zoe. Looks like a wonderful space. You may well need some shelter – but the Buddleias will be good for that. How much space do you have?

Anonymous
    Inactive

here is where we are planning our garden, its just a paddock right now, but the new fence is on order from trademe to keep the cows out.

going to get some raised garden beds so if we ever move we can take it with us, also have some good sized pots, but need to get a really big pott or two so we can get a really big bush of ongaonga

hope you enjoy the photo will put more photos up as things move along.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Anna, have got some buddleia on order, thanks very much for your help.

Anna
    Participant

Zoe, you should get the nettles tomorrow. 20/9/11…as I sent them fastpost. Butterflies love Buddleia, so I hope you will plant lots of them.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you everyone for replying.

Thank you Anna – Ive already contacted you, let me know your address through our emails and i will post the stamps for you.

Jacqui – Thank you, if you do have any around when you get home just let me know. I look forward to hearing from you.

Norm Twiggie – Id love some seeds, ill email you. Thank you for all the information. We have a large area with fields around, so we will be planting a large area of colourful nectar flowers then thick areas of host plants.

I will make a list of all the ones you have suggested to go find them.

Thank you so much for posting

NormTwigge
    Participant

Further to the above, my Snail vine has lots of seed pods with ripe seeds, so if anyone would like some free seeds just let me know – norm@monarch.org.nz
    Be aware it can grow into a tangled vine but it can be trained along a fence or similar.

NormTwigge
    Participant

Hi Zoe,

The Common Blue uses Clover, Lucerne and the Birds foot trefoils Lotus pedunculatus and L. corniculatus, so you will need an unkempt area with these weeds growing amongst some unmown grass.
    The Lontailed Blue larvae feed on the flowers and seed pods(not leaves)of Legumes such as Gorse, Broom, Garden peas and beans,Sweet peas and Lupin. Each summer the Long tailed blues lay eggs on my Scarlet runner bean flowers, and also on the flowers of my Snail vine (Vigna caracalla).
    For the Common Coppers you need Meuhlenbeckia axillaris, M.australis or M.complexa.
    As the Forest ringlet is a forest dweller with a specific habitat it unlikely you would attract any of these.
    And of course a garden filled with nectar flowers will attract the butterflies, but the host plants growing will encourage them to lay their eggs and propagate. And there is always the possibility of sighting one of the Australian migrant butterflies which find there way to New Zealand most years.

Jacqui

I may have spare swan plants when I get home in about a month, Zoe. Happy to help (if I can).

Anna
    Participant

I have nettle seedlings you can have Zoe…no charge for the plants…just 10 x 60c stamps to cover post and packaging…when you get the parcel(fastpost)
    annabarnett@xtra.co.nz

Viewing 11 replies - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.