Unhappy Swans

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all.

Im new to this, but want to grow my swans into big healthy beasts for next summer.

Unfortunately they are very purple stemmed & sad looking with leaf growth slow & ill looking.

Any advice please?

they are in sun, well watered, in a potting mix base with saw dust.

They have been fertilised once.

Would lime help?

thanks,

t

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you folks. ..Unfortunately im in auckland city without a garden; so its the old 40litre pot for me. I look forward to the warmer weather & healthier swans!

burnt-orange
    Participant

Hi tadhg

As Bryan pointed out sawdust and wood products like bark, use nitrogen in the process of natural decomposition, interested to know way the addition of sawdust?
    Potting mixes are a wonderful growing medium to get plants off to a good start and there are some very good products on the market,if you intend to grow on your plants to a large size,then use the best quality mix you can buy,its complete and there is no need to add sawdust.And the plant can be re-potted with good results.
    And if you want BIG healthy beasts,then you would be looking toward planting in your garden soil,if you have a garden.
    And from that point I can help you maximize plant potential. All the best, Paul.

Jacqui

Whereabouts are you Tadhg? Bryan is in the Waikato (Cambridge) – it would be interesting to know if you’re in that region or somewhere else.

If you’re in the Waikato, you might like to call in and have a natter with the owner of The Plant Place in Kahikatea Road Extension, off the ring road in Hamilton. – he grows great swan plants. And he is also very helpful with advice and tips.

Hope that helps.

Jacqui

bcjenk
    Participant

Hi tadhg,
    Your swans sound exactly like mine – purple stems and sad looking leaves. No worries though, it’s the cold. As soon as the weather warms they’ll be away. Not too much sawdust though.It will suck up the nitrogen to decompose itself and leave your plants short.A little nitrogen fertiliser could be of benefit. Cheers. Bryan.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.