Urtica dioica – Auckland

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

As it was mostly Aucklanders at the AGM there was a discussion about Urtica dioica (perennial nettle or just plain ‘stinging nettle’). There was a suggestion that we should be liaising with the Auckland Council regarding this plant’s status because the Regional Pest Management Strategy is under review.

I followed this up with the Auckland Council and a Biosecurity team member is going to get in touch with me with more information. U. dioica is marked as being “Surveillance” in the Regional Pest Management Strategy which is in existence at present (2007-2012).

http://www.arc.govt.nz/environment/biosecurity/search-for-plants/index.cfm?63E0F20E-14C2-3D2D-B905-50098EBBE4B9&plantcode=Urtdio

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

My response will be whatever the MBNZT decides (and that has yet to be decided) but yes, I personally totally agree with your views, Terry. At least we haven’t missed out on the consultation period! We’ll do whatever we can for the good of butterflies.

Terry
    Participant

Hi Jacqui!

I take it your response will be to point out how important nettles are to the survival of the Yellow and Red Admirals, and the dire situation these species find themselves in due to short-sighted official policy toward weed control. I am interested to know if it’s just a real consultation or just to make out they listen to the publics views. If it’s anything like the UK I don’t hold out much hope for you!

Jacqui

The Auckland Council is just beginning the review process, and we will be advised and can make a submission on any of the weeds and anticipated controls. Watch this space!

clinton9
    Participant

Bah ! I have nettles, they are more beneflt plants than pest plants, and they would be more common for butterfly caterpillars to eat…they are nature”s nettle controllers. They are good for humen health.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.